Backfire

A/N: I hope you all enjoy.

Edward’s Pov:

I decided to play the piano in the little nook that Esme envisioned and Emmet created for me one birthday past. I was avoiding making a certain phone call. I already made good headway in my assignments for every class aside from bio. So I distracted myself by playing my piano. It was working well until I heard someone's thoughts.

Alice was sketching something in the notebook she uses for fashion, when her ringtone sounded off. Her thoughts were wondering who could be calling her.  Which I found strange since she knew everyone that has her number. The only reason I can come up with is that she wasn’t paying attention to whoever it was that called her.

“Oh it’s my new friend, yay”, Alice’s thought just then was enough to cause my fingers to pause before hitting the next keys on my piano.

A new friend. Why haven’t I heard anything about this from her before? Alice and I are usually on the same page about everything. We don’t hide anything from one another and we keep each other’s secrets. Which is why I felt very confused when I heard Alice’s greeting over the phone. She is talking to Bella, was this my Bella? The Bella whose blood called to me like a siren’s call sends a male sailor to their death? My answer came to me in the form of Bella’s voice, telling Alice to tell me to give her a call. Seconds later however she pulled Alice into a conversation.

I suppose that Bella had plenty of time on her hands, it was that or she didn’t really care about getting this project done. If I’m recalling things correctly she didn’t sound all the serious when she said she wanted to get this project done sooner rather than later. I rolled my shoulders back, trying to ignore whatever emoticon decided it was necessary to nag at me in this moment. I hovered my fingers over the piano and started to play a song that I didn’t have to think partiertly hard about to play. I tried to ignore the conversation going on upstairs yet as Alice said she’d throw a party for Bella’s birthday, I couldn’t stay seated.

I paused halfway up the steps when I heard Bella’s loud protest to a party being thrown. I stayed on the steps, now blatantly eavesdropping on Alice’s conversation with Bella. It was out of curiosity and protectiveness, if Alice let it slip or Bella somehow found out of the fact that we weren’t human. It would put our family in danger if any other vampire found out and told the Volturi. It started to piss me off that Bella had time to laugh with Alice when she should be working on the project that was assigned to us. I moved at my natural speed into Alice and Jasper shared room. I took the phone from her hand without making the concrete decision to do so, which caught Alice off guard. The way she spoke just confirmed that fact, “Edward, what the hell?”

I mouthed a quick sorry before I turned my attention on the phone call. I let some of my annoyance at this girl leak in my tone as I spoke, “Don’t you know we have a project to get done? I’d rather not leave it to the last minute, if you don’t mind partner.”

I only waited a few seconds before I heard her slightly heated response to my question, “Who was the one that told you about the project in the first place.”

She let out a rough scoff and wouldn’t let me speak again since she kept talking, “And! If you were so worried about the project you should have called me, numb nuts.”

I wasn’t expecting her to insult me, in the way that she did. I laughed which felt nice since it had been a while since I last laughed. My tone didn’t come out as intimidating as I wanted it to as I spoke, “What did you just call me?”

“Numbnuts”, She spoke the words stubbornly and I couldn’t help the smile that stretched on my face. How can she be a thousand times more torrable yet still so unexpected over the phone? I was thinking that calling her would be difficult, that the I would hear her blood pumping and be tempted. Luckily I focused more on her voice than the sound of her blood moving through her body.