Coward

A/N: I hope you enjoy.

Edward’s Pov:

I ran fast and far. I wasn’t actively thinking of a place as I ran, yet, still, I ended up in the presence of friendly faces, Tara, Irina, and Kate. Tara was the one to open the door before I even got close to it, she must have heard my approach. I heard her thoughts, she wondered if I was here for her if I had changed my mind about her offer.

I remembered when that offer was made it was 1930 when I first met Tara. Esme, Carlisle and I were on an outing together, we were getting into our own version of normal since I had returned from my rebellious stage as Esme likes to refer to it. Humans packed the place to see the circus, to be shocked and awed. I spotted Tara after I heard her thoughts of how delicious someone smelled and how she just had to have a taste.

Blonde hair, sharp, defined cheekbones, icy pale skin like my little family here, yet behind those sunglasses she wore I could see her red eyes. She left the company of two other vampire women, Kate and Irina, to hunt. Tara was luring a man to his possible death if she was anything like me when she fed. I ducked away from the family with the excuse of having to use the bathroom, and I quickly followed after the vampire woman and her prey.

It was an odd experience to met another vampire that wasn’t connected to Carlisle. I wondered if she had gifts like my family and I, as well as who was the one to have changed her. Did she have a chosen family as well or was she alone? How old was she? Was she close to death when she was changed? Was she given a choice in whether she was changed?

All questions erased when I hear her practically purring mentally about how good it will feel to taste his blood while her orgasm rushes through her. I stopped mid step as I became increasingly aware of what she was doing with her prey at the moment.

So I simply cleared my throat and spoke in a quiet volume that only she would pick up on, “Apologizes for being so rude, but I must ask you to take your”, I paused thinking of the right word to use, before settling on one, “Activities further away from the tent, please. Some of us have a very sensitive sense of smell and wouldn’t want to be distracted while trying to enjoy the show.”

I listened to her consider my words while admiring the sound of my voice mentally. I didn’t have to wait long for a verbal response,“If you insist sir, you are welcome to join me.”

“I politely decline, my family is waiting for my return. I do hope you enjoy your tasting”, With that being said, I made my way back to the tent and sat with my family, just in time for the show to start.

The show was actually fun to watch, with the clowns and acrobats and lion taming. After the show, however, I heard Tara’s thoughts once again before I heard her approach, she was thinking about my voice, as well as what I might look like. She quickly found me by my scent and offered me a wide smile, I could see the faint stain of blood on her teeth, which would be too faint for human eyes.

“Hello, sir”, She spoke to get my attention and prompted me to turn and face her, when I did, her thoughts were pleased with what she saw. So pleased in fact that she wondered if I had a mate.

I gave her a small smile in return as I spoke, “Hello, miss. I am Edward and I am sorry to inform you but, I don’t have a mate, nor do I hold any interest in having a romantic relationship.”

She pouted for a moment as she thought of how she could convince me of otherwise. I decided that the best course of action would be to distract her, so I spoke again, “How was your tasting?”

She gave me a solemn look as she answered my question, “ I am Tara and it was delightful, it was a good last taste. My sisters and I have decided that we love men too much to end them in any other way than an eventual heartbreak.”