42

five days later

Santiago

My eyes centered in on Adora, watching as she pulled her hair up into a bun.

My love for her had somehow skyrocketed within the past week- her love for me had been revealed.

People always told me that trying times revealed the love you have for people, and the fact that Adora had been so helpful, loving, kind, acceptant of my mood swings, so on and so forth, it just opened my eyes in a way I never imagined having them opened.

"You feeling okay?" She asked, wrapping an arm around my shoulders as she pressed a kiss to my ear.

"Yeah," I said, smiling, "I think I'm going to go into work today."

She pulled away from me. "Wait, why?"

"I just want to stop in and see how things are going," I said, "I don't want the building to f-"

"Shh," she said, "I already took care of it."

"Yeah?" I asked, smiling.

"Mm hmm," she said, gliding her hands through my hair, "Victoria has it all under control. Promise."

"Thanks, baby," I said, smiling up at her.

She sat down on my leg. "I also have a surprise for you today."

"Y-"

About the time I responded, the door flew open. I looked over my shoulder and my eyes lit up when they landed on the boys.

"My boys!" I yelled, making Adora stand up with a broad smile.

"God, dad, we've missed you so much!" Josiah said, launching himself at me.

I let out a loud grunt, chuckling as I wrapped my free arm around him. "I've missed you guys too much."

Fred wrapped an arm around my neck. "How are you?"

I nodded. "I'm a lot better now that you guys are here."

"Only for a few hours," Alessandra said, smiling as she cradled Rose in her arms.

"Hey, Sandra," I greeted, shooting Rose a smile.

"I think the boys are enjoying mommy-son time, not going to lie," Alessandra said, grinning as she brushed Fred's hair away from his forehead.

I just smiled and watched Adora grab Rose's hand, making her coo and reach out for her.

"Can I?" She asked, smiling at Alessandra.

"Don't even have to ask," she said, handing her over with a smile.

Adora smiled at the baby in her arms.

I just looked up at her with a small grin, and back at the boys.

"I think today should be a day for the boys," I said, "which probably won't be the most fun, considering I'm pretty broken up, but we can make it fun."

The boys just nodded erratically, wide eyes.

I chuckled and Adora carried Rose into the kitchen, making Alessandra smile.

The boys ran into the living room and I stood up. "Mateo came home, right?"

"Yeah," she said, nodding, "yeah, he did."

"Good," I said, "he's-"

"On edge? I know," she said, shooting me a weak smile.

"You have nothing to worry about," I said, "the gang leader, he fled the country. No one even knows where he went, so you and Mateo are fine."