11

Santiago

"Just a hint?"

I chuckled and cradled my phone in between my shoulder and ear, doodling on my paper some more.
"No."

"Ugh." I heard Adora fall back onto the bed with a loud, angry sigh. "You know, I'm going to figure out at some point."

"Well," I said, "you haven't figured it out yet, so I must've done a pretty damn good job at hiding it."

"Well, I'm going to figure it out."

"You have three days left," I said, "can you figure it out in time?"

"Yep, I'll bet you, hmm," she said, "a thousand that I'll figure it out before my birthday."

"A thousand? You've got a lot riding on it," I snorted, a smile creeping on my face.

"Shut up," she said, "it'll be pulled from your bank account, so you love either way."

"Clever," I said, "but you most definitely will not figure it out. Promise."

"You know if you break a promise, something bad happens."

"Well," I said, standing up, "I don't ever break promises, so news to me."

"Smooth," she said, "okay, my spa appointment starts in exactly an hour. I'm going to get ready and go in a few."

"Alright," I said, "love you."

"Love you more," she said before hanging up.

I placed my phone on my desk and leaned against it, looking over at the heap of papers across from me that desperately needed attention.

I pushed myself off of my desk and plopped back down in my chair, sliding on my glasses on my face. My attention towards the papers was cut short, though, when I heard a loud knock on my door.

I stood up and straightened out my suit, opening the doors of my office.

My eyebrows went in a deep furrow when the first thing I saw was Alessandra's usual professional looking bun, her hands on the boys' shoulders.

"Uh, what's going on?"

"Wanna tell dad what happened?" Alessandra asked, tapping on Josiah's shoulder.

"I volunteer you to," Jo answered, nudging Freddy's elbow.

"Can you guys get inside," I muttered, pulling them inside, "what's the problem?"

Alessandra hitched her purse further up her shoulder, an eyebrow cocked up down at the boys.

"Tell him."

Fred sighed and plopped down on the couch. "We got into a fight, it was seriously no big deal, dad-"

"No, it was a big deal," Alessandra butted in.

"Let them talk," I said an eyebrow cocked up at her.

"It's seriously fine," Jo said, "see, we didn't even get hurt-"

"That's not the principle of the thing, Josiah," Alessandra scolded, "you can't just get in fights as you please."

"Well, mom, you're not a boy, so you don't know how easy that is," Fred said, and I could hear the pop of attitude in his voice as he shot her a rude smile.

I couldn't help but to flex my jaw muscle to stop smiling. I'd admit that I was an asshole, but I didn't want to pass that personality trait down to the boys.

Even though it was pretty much inevitable.

"He's right," I said, "they're all boy, and stubborn."