40

Santiago

The door flew open and I looked inside, my eyebrows shooting up.

"Surprise," Adora said, smiling as she closed the door behind her, "the house looks the exact same as it usually does."

I chuckled and grabbed my bag from her hand. "I feel like a dick watching you carry my bag."

"Well, you're lacking in the working arm department, so," she said, taking it back as she smiled.

"It's just sprained," I said, walking into the kitchen, "I don't get what the big deal is."

I reached inside the cabinet with my working arm, only for her to close the cabinet. "No, no drinking."

I just looked down at her. "Excuse me?"

She looked up at me. "Doc said no drinking."

"One, I was getting a glass for water, and two, did doc say that, or did you say that?"

She sighed. "Both. Here."

She grabbed a glass and poured me some water, sliding it over to me.

"What harm is drinking going to do, anyways?" I asked.

"Well, let's go over your injuries," she said, "uh, major injuries to the chest region, also a gunshot wound, need I go into further detail?"

"Yeah, because I don't see how me drinking alcohol has anything to do with that."

She just looked at me. "It's a no. You should get some rest."

"I've been in a hospital bed for long enough," I said.

She brushed my hair away from my face. "Doctor's orders."

I smiled and grabbed her hand. "You don't have to play nurse. I mean, unless you dress up like one-"

"Funny," she said, "but I watched you flatline, so I'm going to be a little shaken up for a while."

I just looked down at her and pulled her into me, sighing as I pressed a kiss to her forehead. "I'm okay now."

She smiled and rubbed her hand up and down my back.

"When you said I didn't remember," I said, "what did you mean?"

She pulled away from me, leaning against the counter. "You, uh, you woke up and asked who I was."

I just looked at her. I could only imagine how much that hurt.

"You were still unconscious," she said, "I didn't know that. I freaked out, then Alessandra and I got into this huge fight, really long day, to say the least."

I looked down at the floor. "Did Mateo ever show up?"

"I think he was smart enough to stay away," she said.

"He's probably messed up right now."

She just furrowed her brows together. "Look at yourself."

"What?"

"You have a bruised up face, a gunshot wound, an arm in a sling, I think if anyone's messed up right now, it's you," she said, walking towards me, "stop thinking about everyone else before yourself."

"I'm fine, Adora," I said, "why are you so concerned about it?"

"Because I'm in love with you too," she said, a questionable tone to her voice, "because everything makes sense when I'm with you, I don't know?"

I just flexed my jaw muscle, pulling her into me with my free arm. "Let's rest for the rest of the day."

She nodded. "That sounds great."