Chapter 20 - Sick Little Games

Previously:
- James was about to go find Newt but he saw Catherine who said that Angela is in trouble
- Angela was brought to a room to see what was wrong with her
- Thomas begs John for a way to save her
- John says that James knows how to

Chapter 20 - Sick Little Games

When (Y/N) arrived at the garden, all her rage disappeared. James isn't exactly the face she wanted to see today or any day for that matter. She wasn't exactly angry at him (well she was), but she was also angry at herself. Seeing James again was a reminder that Newt could come to this world any day. The fact that she's given up and a couple of times have forgotten about it, makes her feel guilty.

(Y/N) made her way to the fountain which is known to be the middle of the garden. The hedge maze was by the east of the fountain. She sighed as she sat on the fountain. She wanted to show Catherine around, but she wasn't here.

But that didn't make any sense. The doctor said that there were a lot of people there. But all she saw was James. He couldn't have fooled them like that. Or perhaps they were someone else's visitors, mistaken for hers.

"(Y/N)? Is that you?"

"Anya?" She looked around. "Where are you?"

"I'm just by the hedge maze."

"Okay, I'm going to you."

When (Y/N) was walking to the hedge maze, she looked around for any signs of Anya but she still couldn't find her. She was about to call for her again but she saw someone peeking and thought it was her. She was only able to see her for a second before she disappeared she went in deeper into the Maze.

"Anya," (Y/N) called to her as she tried to follow her.

She never thought that Anya was so fast. She could hardly catch up to her. Although there was this small fear inside (Y/N) that they'll get lost and stuck inside, the adrenaline and memory of being a Runner erased all that. The walls were exactly a hundred feet tall and there wasn't this pressure of finding an escape, but there was still the feeling of familiarity and home in it.

"Anya, wait up." She said as they ran through another turn. "Where are we even going?"

"(Y/N)? (Y/N), where are you?"

(Y/N) stopped in her tracks. Anya's voice was quite far and distant. If that's so, then the person she was following wasn't Anya at all.

"I'm- I'm in the hedge maze. Where are you?"

"What? I said I was by the hedge maze. Not inside."

"Sorry."

So, whoever that was, it wasn't Anya. She must've scared the poor thing off. She couldn't leave that person here, they might not know how to get out. But as (Y/N) looked around, she also didn't know how to get out.

In the corner of her eye, she saw a figure running again. But the person disappeared through another turn again. It was the person she was following earlier. Maybe they know how to get out of here. So, she followed them once again.

"Wait! Hey, wait!" She tried to say. But the person was still running from her. "I'm sorry for being a bother but can you help me get out of here?"