Chapter 22 - This Is Not the Last of Us

Previously:
- Newt and (Y/N) finally reunited
- But John found out that Newt was around and tried to find him with James tagging along

Chapter 22 - This Is Not the Last of Us

John and James were by the archway that leads them to the gardens. John was in the lead while James was tagging behind. John doesn't know it, but he's as anxious as him, but for the different reasons. James knew that if his plan had worked, then everything will fall into place.

The two of them eventually saw (Y/N) and Newt locked in an embrace. John stormed over to them in a fit of rage. James took one step in order to stop him, but he froze when he heard someone calling his name. John was out of his reach but he couldn't care less about that now.

In the corner of his eye, there they were. The First Author.

-

Upon seeing John marching to them with such intense and fiery eyes, (Y/N) couldn't help but feel nervous. Newt knew the reason why John looked so cross. He wore a guilty look on his face and unconsciously pushed (Y/N) away from him.

"I thought I told you to not go to her," he scolded him.

Newt looked down in shame. "I'm sorry."

"Sorry? Sorry. No, you have to leave now. Just get some space between the two of you. Go to the hallway."

Before Newt could take one step, she grabbed on to his hand. She didn't want to let him go.

"What are you two talking about? What's going on? How did the two of you meet?" Her eyes shifted between the two of them.

"I'll explain when Newt is gone."

"No!" (Y/N) stood right beside Newt. "Tell me what's going on," she demanded. "And what the shuck is that on your shirt!" She pointed at the dark stain.

"It's blood."

"Who's?" Newt asked before (Y/N) could.

"Angela's."

"What?" Newt and (Y/N) chorused.

"Angela's here? What happened?"

"She dying (Y/N)."

"Dying?"

"Yes, and the same thing will happen to you and Newt unless you don't let him go."

(Y/N) looked at Newt and John with a troubled and curious expression. "What? I don't- I don't understand."

"I'll tell you when you let him go."

(Y/N)'s grasp on Newt hand loosened a little, but she still hasn't fully let go of him. She didn't know what was going on. What John was talking about Angela dying and that the same thing will happen to her and Newt. She wasn't looking at John anymore but at Newt, with a pleading expression in her eyes.

Newt knew John was right. He couldn't bear to look at (Y/N)'s face. Why couldn't they have had a few more minutes together?

Earlier, Newt was ready to say goodbye to (Y/N). To say hello to death and bring the possibility of a new person. It felt so easy earlier. But now, being the one who'll step away from (Y/N), making this their last goodbye. It broke his heart even more than jumping off a wall.

-

James watched as the First Author took off the hood off their face. Revealing a young woman with a mane of jet black hair. Normally, you'd think that they're just another normal person. There isn't anything outstanding about them, that is until you see the ring that they're wearing.

The ring that only the First Author could ever own. The ring is gold with a symbol of a quill on it. It's how the Authors can identify who the First Author is, despite them always changing forms and appearance.

"I'm impressed," they said with a smile on their red lips. "You were able to keep your end of the bargain."

"It wasn't easy," James said seriously, unlike him. "You'll do what we've agreed on?"

"Of course. I'm never one to back out on my word." They held out their hand to James.

"Just a minute," he said before taking their hand. "There's something else I need to add in the bargain. I miscalculated. I have three people who needs to drink from the Fountain of Knowledge, not just two."

"Now now, you know that once we made the deal, there are no more alterations."

"Yes, but I-"

"Shush," they placed a finger on James's lips, "let's talk about this in my office."

"You'll consider it?"

"Who knows? So?"

"Fine." James took the First Author's hand and they disappeared into thin air.

-

John, (Y/N), and Newt didn't notice since they were the only people around the garden within their line of sight. But the case is different for Catherine and Thomas. They noticed when everyone other than them suddenly stopped moving. There were some people who were walking and moving around the hallway. That is they were, until a second ago. Right now, they're frozen in time. This happened around the time when James and the First Author disappeared.

Catherine and Thomas had no idea what was happening. While Catherine was still freaking out and wondering about it, Thomas was more focused on Angela. He went inside the room she was in since there was no one else stopping him. He saw that she was still breathing, barely. Unlike everyone else, who were frozen in time, she seems to be part of the ones who weren't.

Then just like James and the First Author, Catherine, Thomas, and Angela disappeared into thin air.

-

John, (Y/N), and Newt were still oblivious to what has happened in a few minutes. But they were about to find out about it. As of now, (Y/N) was still gripping Newt's hand, pleading for him not to go. But Newt wasn't looking at her. He avoided her pleading gaze. He knew he was powerless against it.

He already set up his mind. This was it. This was the last time he'll see her. He just wished they could've parted in better way. But before he could whisk his hand away from hers, the three of them disappeared just like the others.

End of Part II

Read

Love

Comment

Vote

Share

Follow

❤️ Once_Upon_A_Glade