Chapter 8 - Before We Started, It Was Over

Previously:
- Hearing that Newt is in the same realm, John went back to the Rosewood Institute
- James is just trying to fix everything despite what John thinks
- Newt, Thomas, Catherine, and Angela are on their way to the Rosewood Institute, not knowing that John is trying to stop them

Chapter 8 - Before We Started, It Was Over

Catherine tried to act cool but she actually couldn't believe it that the actual Newt was sitting right beside her. The news that her best friend and Newt had a romantic (somehow) relationship was another bomb to her. Although why (Y/N) didn't mention it was a question to her.

Usually (Y/N) was open to her about the boys she likes. Although she's never been kissed or have ever had a boyfriend, she'd share the crushes that she'll have, fictional or not. She remembered as (Y/N) shared that she was in the Glade. That she met Newt, Minho, Gally, Alby, and the other Gladers. But there was nothing about Newt. Did something bad happen? Or did something actually happen?

Catherine turned her head to Newt and saw that he was clutching something in his arms. She couldn't tell what it was. Newt caught her staring.

"What?"

"What's that?" She asked.

"A sketchbook."

This sparked an interest. "You draw?"

"No. It's (G/N)'s."

It took a second for Catherine to click that (G/N) meant (Y/N). It was a little confusing.

"Right," she smiled, "(Y/N) does love to draw. Um may I see?"

"Sure."

Newt handed Catherine the sketchbook. She flipped through it. She recognized the style of (Y/N)'s drawing. She remembered that (Y/N) had trouble with faces and hands, but it doesn't look like the case now. There were drawings of mostly boys. Catherine concluded that they must be the Gladers, who else could she draw there?

Newt had to tell her who the Gladers were since she didn't recognize anyone. Minho was a wild guess since he was the only Asian there. Catherine laughed when she saw a stick figure yelling with an Alby written on top of it.

"That's obviously not (Y/N)'s," she said.

"No," Newt smiled. It was the first time he did. "Minho drew that." Catherine laughed again.

Newt started to warm up to Catherine. Perhaps it was her fault that he was nervous around her. Well, hearing that he was supposedly her best friend's first boyfriend, she had to show him that she was an important person in (Y/N)'s life...somehow.

She flipped more into (Y/N)'s drawing. Once again, they were mostly of the Gladers. They were either working or having some fun. It was beautiful how they were captured like a photograph.

Catherine noticed that Newt seemed a little sad as he looked at the drawings with her. It was because he missed those simpler times. He also missed the person who created them.

Catherine got to the last picture. There were still a few blank pages left, but the creator didn't have any chance to fill them up because she was gone. The last picture was of (Y/N) and Newt under the stars. (Y/N) and Newt were curled up in each other's arms. The moon was illuminating its light towards them. There were a few stars but mostly covered by trees. Right on one side of the picture was a picnic basket.