Chapter 26 - The Final Deal

Previously:
- (Y/N) and Newt have adjusted to their new lives
- (Y/N) and Thomas have reunited
- But John isn't completely content in this world
- Turns out neither is Angela and Thomas S.

Chapter 26 - The Final Deal

After the talk with Newt and (Y/N), John decided to take a short walk by the forest part of Paradise. There were still a lot of places that the people haven't explored. They wanted to have a certain place or a stable home first before they start exploring. There were still some who'd explore and some who'd stay and help around. It was like the in the Glade. But anyway, during this walk was when John unexpectedly met up with an old aquaintance.

"Seems like happily ever after might not really be happy after all," the First Author drawled as they looked at John.

The First Author looked like they did when he last saw them. The same dark hair and dark eyes. The same dark look on their eyes and mischievous smile on their lips. It was why John was able to recognize them in an instant.

"What are you doing here?"

The First Author frowned. "What's with the hostility? I just want to see you all and I sensed that someone needed me." They gave John a look.

"Me? What could I need you for?"

"Beats me," they shrugged. "But I'm looking at everyone and it looks like the only troubled person here is you."

John's thoughts drifted to Angela and gave the First Author a look of disbelief.

"Well, the only troubled person who knows me anyway," they shrugged. "So, how are things here anyway? Why aren't you happy?"

"Why would you think I'm going to tell you anything? Don't you have other places you want to be?"

"You hate me that much. Why?" They didn't sound hurt, but curious.

John didn't want to talk about this to that person. He turned and walked away. But just before he could get out of the forest, he saw someone he didn't expect to see. Someone he thought was dead.

At first he thought she was Angela for they bore an uncanny resemblance. But there were a few aspects that weren't Angela's. That John knew was hers. His heart gave a huge leap and he let his guard down for a moment. But the smile on his face turned into a frown when he saw her eyes. That was how he knew it wasn't truly her. Her eyes were always shining, but right now it's blank.

It was too good to be true anyway,

"You're not Sheryl," he said icily.

In a second, the woman beside him disappeared and formed into the body that the First Author took earlier.

"So that's the reason."

This just added deeply to John's foul mood. He had a right mind to strangle the First Author for that cruel trick but thought against it. Don't want anything bad to happen to him or anyone else he cared for.

John couldn't forget when he first met Sheryl.

He was still a young boy then. A boy about two or three years older than Newt or (Y/N). He was that young when he was with one of his comrades, protecting the new refugees that they found. He was part of the group in the Right Arm who go out and search for any people who are still not safe in Denver. But they don't just take anyone. They need to find out first if they're immune as to not infect anybody else in Denver.