Chapter 21 - Classic Case of Foolish, Young, and In Love

Previously:
- (Y/N) was in the gardens trying to find Anya
- Although she might've found someone else instead.

Chapter 21 - Classic Case of Foolish, Young, and In Love

After seeing that (Y/N) wasn't inside the room, Newt felt relieved but also disappointed. She was so close, but so far. A few minutes later, he heard someone walking towards the door. The door knob opened and Newt made a run for it, thinking that it was (Y/N).

He was right.

James was calling him and was about to run after him if it wasn't for (Y/N). He was far enough for her to (hopefully) not see him. But close enough to hear her voice as she shouted at James.

He didn't want to hear it. He didn't want another reminder that he could simply turn around and take a few steps and see the girl he thought was dead for so long. The temptation was so strong, but he resisted.

Newt was so lost in his thoughts that when he came back to his senses, he realized that he was lost. He missed the place where he and James entered. Instead, he was in front of an archway that leads to the famous Rosewood Institute Garden. He saw it in pictures when Thomas, Angela, and Catherine searched it up in the internet so that they could find directions.

He could easily go back where he came from. Newt only ran one straight line. He could just retrace his steps and go back where he and James entered then head back to the car to hide. But there was something that pulled him to that garden.

As he walked around, it reminded him of the Glade, without the walls and the Maze. After spending months away from the Glade, he missed it. He knew that he'll never see that again. Never see his friends again either. That gave him a pang in his chest. He was so used to share an adventure with his friends. But he was on a new adventure now with his new friends. The only person who's had the same experiences as him is one he isn't allowed to meet.

It seems too cruel, Newt thought. Somehow, it feels like it's better if he just came in this world the way he should've. He shouldn't have come here with his memories of his past still intact. He didn't know if he'll go mad because his mind couldn't handle it. But he might go mad with grief.

James said that he and (Y/N) were special cases because he wanted them to be. That was because he wanted them to meet each other again. But fate seems to work against them because they can't see each other.

So now what?

Newt felt like he was stuck in limbo. He has the chance to start anew, but there's still the pull of the past within him. The pull of his memories. He needs to learn to move on. But what if he couldn't?

When all this is done, Newt wants to ask James to do something for him. Maybe he could be sent to another world without his memories intact. He'll no longer be Newt in that world. He'll truly start anew with a new name, a new identity. His past long gone because clearly, he isn't needed anymore.

Somehow, this excited Newt. The prospect of being someone new. Truly, having a fresh start. This life will only be reduced to a memory that will live with everyone else's mind but his.

John said that he'll help him start over in this new world. But Newt didn't feel like he could. With (Y/N), he would've. At least he had something something (or someone) going on for him in this world. But now, there wasn't one. There seemed to be too many things to do to be able to start over. Despite all those, there was a time he would've tried. But the truth is that, even in the few years he's lived, he was already tired.