Chapter 31

Beep
Beep
Beep....

The incessant sound had woken me up. I carefully blinked my eyes open and took in my surroundings. The smell of antiseptic filled my nose as I looked around the small room. I was in the hospital.

Memories of last night began to flood my head and I rubbed my eyes. As if that could really take the memories away. I thought bitterly to myself.

My throat felt dry and I felt like I was starving. I searched around the bed until I found the little remote and pressed the nurse button.

It wasn't long before two nurses and a doctor walked into my room. I tried to sit up in bed but the pain was still in my leg and I hissed. The doctor held his hands up and motioned for the nurses to help me sit up.

"We're glad to see you awake Ms. Rockwell I'm Dr. Lancaster pleasure to meet you."

He held his hand out to me and I warily took it retiring his handshake. If there was anything I learned from Vitaly it was to be weary of everyone.

I opened my mouth to speak but nothing came out momentarily making me panic. Dr. Lancaster let out a small breathy laugh and sent one of the nurses out for some water.

She came back quickly and I was grateful. I gulped down the entire contents of the glass and already felt a small relief.

"How long was I out?" I asked already dreading the other questions I knew needed to be asked.

"Three days, you lost a good amount of blood from your leg and the stress of the situation sent your body into a state of shock."

I nodded my head at his answer. I could definitely see that happening. Then something clicked, I was in a hospital after a mafia shootout. My eyes widened and I began to go into a slight panic.

The beeping on the machine began to increase and I started to look for an exit. Dr. Lancaster's face went from friendly to serious before he walked over and sat in the chair next to my bed. He sent the nurses away so it was just him and I.

"I know what happened Scar and please believe me when I say Mr. Volkov pays me a healthy amount of money to ensure that everything stays  off the record and private in this section of the hospital."

I nodded my head and immediately felt a sense of relief. "How is Vitaly...where is he I need to see him."

He gave me a small nod and let out a laugh. "Nikita told me that would be the first thing you asked for, I'll get you a wheelchair an-"

He was cut off by Nikita coming through the door and pushing a wheelchair to my bed. I smiled when I saw her and smiled back just as bright.

"There's no need for that Hugh I've got her."

He let out another laugh and put his hands up. "Alright Ms. Volkov you know the way."

He gave me a reassuring smile and left the room leaving just Nikita and I. She left the wheelchair next to the bed and walked around the other side to climb in with me.

"You scared the hell out of us Scar, what were you thinking?!?"

I shrugged as she laid her head on my shoulder and linked her arm with mine.

"I wasn't honestly, I just saw this ending badly for everyone and knew that Giovanni had to die, I didn't want to risk Vitaly's life but I did and now he's in here because of me."

Small tears streamed down my face and I inwardly cursed myself for letting them fall. I wasn't that person, I didn't want to break right now, I couldn't break right now.