Chapter 27

* 6  months later **

Time seemed to go by slowly, it's hard to believe that I left only 6 months ago. I didn't go back to my old house. I was worried Giovanni would find me there and then there was Vitaly....I haven't heard from him since that day.

I got a job at some little dive bar, I couldn't go back to my old job and honestly I really didn't want to. Nikita calls me almost everyday giving me updates on Evie and Carmen.

Evie and Nikolai were getting serious, she thinks he's going to pop the question any day now. I wish I could be there for that...Carmen only has about 2 months of her pregnancy left. Nikita says she is absolutely glowing.

Turns out she's been flirting with a certain gate guard named Chris. I couldn't help but smile when she told me, I was happy for them.

As for me I rented a small apartment near the bar. I even started seeing someone. I wasn't sure if it was because I was still hurt or that maybe I just needed a distraction. I have no real romantic feelings for him, not the way he wants me to at least.

We'd been seeing each other for about 3 months now. We met at the grocery store when he ran his cart into my truck on accident. He was insistent on taking me to lunch to apologize.

I think the only reason I've stayed with him this long is because he is the complete opposite of Vitaly. Peter is safe, he doesn't drink or do drugs. He has no ties to the mafia he works as a technical analysts for crying out loud.

In the last 6 months I've been working on bettering myself. Trying out the whole 'good girl' thing. So far so good although it is boring. Peter sees me as the good shy girl. One you could take home to mom.

How wrong was he...

My thoughts were interrupted by the sound of my front door opening. I peeled myself out of bed and walked into the living room to see Peter coming in with two brown bags setting them on the coffee table.

"Hey baby, I brought you some Chinese" he looked at me with a bright smile his short black hair was neatly styled as usual. He never has anything out of place now that I think about it.

"Thanks I'll get some plates."

I walked into my kitchen to get out the plates and silverware. There was a knock on the door and before I could make it Peter had already answered it. There was a silence and an uneasy feeling in my gut. Did Giovanni find out where I live?

"Who is it?"

He turned and looked at me with wide eyes. He held his hand up to the person in front of him signaling them to wait and turned to me and whispered.

"There's some pregnant gir-"

I didn't give him time to answer I pushed straight past him and all but ripped the door out of his hand. Carmen was standing in the doorway with a bag in her hand and tears in her eyes.

I pulled her into my in a hug careful not to bump into her very large baby bump. The instant her arms went around me she began to break...tears poured down her face as she started to hiccup from the sobs wracking her body.

I pulled away at arms length with both my hands holding onto her shoulders. "Carmen what are you doing here?" I peaked past her and looked down the hallway nobody was with her. "Did you come here alone? Carmen are you out of your mind? Do you know what could have happened to you?"

"I'm sorry, I couldn't stay here I found out where you lived from Nikita" she was sobbing harder now and I wanted nothing more than to try and relax her. This wasn't good for the baby. "Scar...Vitaly has lost it. Everything is a big mess and Evie and Nikolai thought it was best if I didn't stay there right now. The place is like a giant frat house now."

I was seething right now, was he serious? After our fight and the way we left things and he still hasn't got his shit together. I reached down grabbing her bag and setting it inside the door.

I didn't even notice peter come in and lean against the door frame to the kitchen. "You want some food hun? I've got Chinese there's plenty for everyone."

She let out a sigh and nodded her head. "Yes please....I'm starving"

I let out a little laugh and left her on the couch to go and call Nikita. I checked my phone and saw that it was already 9:30 at night. I quickly dialed her number before it got any later. It rang twice before the familiar sound filled my ears.

"Did she make it okay?"

I let out a sigh and shook my head. "What in the hell were you guys thinking letting her come here alone? And what's this with Vitaly? She says everything is going to shit."

She let out a sigh and I just knew she was pacing. Whatever it was she didn't want to tell me. "Alekzander dropped her off outside your apartments, it wasn't safe for her here I didn't have a choice. Vitaly has grown detached from everyone. He even shut me out."

I could hear the strain in her voice. She was having a hard time with this and I knew she didn't have a choice. "What's been happening?"

"He's stopped bothering with Giovanni, it's like he doesn't care what happens to him anymore. He's been drunk just about every night and the house has been full of damn gang bangers and their whores. One of them slapped Carmen for no reason....that's why I sent her to you."

My anger was rising again, how could he do this? How could he sit back and let this happen? Then I thought about it...

"And what did Vitaly do?"

She paused and I knew I wouldn't like the answer.

"He just laughed...said he never asked for the bitch to be here anyway."

That was it. My anger had reached an all time high. I sat down on my bed, I could hear Nikita calling my name on the other end of the phone but I was seeing red.

"SCAR!"

"I'll be there in an hour, tell them at the gate. Do not tell Vitaly I'm coming. He'll know soon enough."

She was crying but I think it was more tears of joy than anything. Here I am worried about what's going to happen, when Giovanni is finally going to find me. And what does he do? Gives up? Oh hell no! I didn't go through all of that shit for nothing.

"Okay I'll tell Chris" she paused I think reveling in what I just said. "Thank you Scar, we all miss you."

I flinched at her words, I didn't realize this would be so hard. I took in a shaky breath knowing that the Scar I tried to bury 6 months ago was in fact about to resurface.

"I miss you too, I'll see you soon."

I hung up the phone and prepared myself to go back into the living room and face Carmen and Peter. I didn't know what she had told him while I was on the phone.

I knew that Peter was about to see the real me not the Scar that I've been hiding behind for the last 6 months.

I opened the door and both of their attention was on me. Peter had a look of worry and confusion on his face while Carmen just looked hurt. I knew my leaving was part of that.

I walked to the front door sliding on my Nike's and grabbing my keys and heading straight to my car. I could hear both of them calling my name but without turning around I just kept walking, well running really.

I didn't see myself coming back here so soon, or ever really. Things are about to change for everyone. I just don't know if it's for better or worse.

—————

Hello wonderful people! Have I mentioned how much I appreciate each one of you for reading my book? Well I do! Please don't forget to comment and vote! 😁

I hope everyone has a merry Christmas! Happy holidays! Hanukkah or whatever it is you celebrate 😘