Erica's Dilemma

In the dark of the night, Erica sat at the counter nursing her mug of coffee to keep the cold at bay. The vestiges of sleep tugged at the corners of her eyes but worry kept gnawing at her gut, keeping her awake. 

How many times had she checked the time now? It'd been hours since she finished her shift at the hospital and Kota's text from earlier did nothing to quell the anxiety that filled her.

When the front door finally opened and closed, she moved from her spot at the counter and turned the hallway light on near the door. Kota looked up in surprise, his face haggard and tired.

Erica tried to keep the anger at bay as she looked at her son, thankful that at least he was okay and came home in one piece. But she was tired and there was still some lingering anger left in her.

"Do you have any idea what time it is?"

"Didn't Mr. Blackbourne tell you where I was?"

"Yes, he did. But I would have liked my son to at least have asked me if it was okay to go gallivanting off with his friends late at night. And on a school night, at that. You aren't eighteen yet, Dakota, you don't get to just do what you want and stay out late however long you want too. I have rules in this house and I expect you home right after school. Where were you and why is Owen always the one sending me these text messages?"

He opened his mouth and closed it, head down and his shoulders slumped. At that moment, Erica felt her anger melt away but the hurt and worry that tugged at her heart wouldn't go away.

"Kota, I just want you to tell me the truth and be honest."

"I'm sorry mom, I can't tell you. It's nothing bad I just...can't tell you." He looked away and Erica knew then Kota was definitely hiding something.

"Well, until your ready to talk, you're grounded. Until I say so. That means none of your friends can come over, home straight after school, no video games and your taking Jessica to her dance recitals from now on. If I catch you running off again without my permission, I'm taking your keys away and you'll take the bus to school. Am I understood, Dakota?"

Seeing him walk away without a word hurt, because she hoped he would have said something at the very least. Being the bad guy was never fun, but Kota was slipping away from her and she had no idea what to do about it. More and more, Erica wondered if the Academy had anything to do with this. It was just an organization, right?