Part 63

I was on the phone, leaving yet another message. My desperation reached its peak. "Jacob. Please. Call me."

I heard Charlie and Harry in the living room checking their fishing gear.

I hung up the phone. Charlie entered the room.

"Harry and I will be back by three-" He stopped when he saw me. He put a hand on my shoulder. "It's mono, Bells."

"He's too sick to even call?"

"You just gotta wait it out. You know, I don't have to go fishing..."

I forced a smile. "No, go. I'll call Jess or someone."

"Good. But stay here or at Jess's. No hikes or anything. We're issuing a warning about those bears."

I nodded.

Later, I tried to navigate my way to the meadow. I referred to my map and a compass.

I was more afraid of the hole in my chest than I was of bears. Without Jacob, I needed Edward more than ever. I needed to know he existed. There was only one place I might find him, or the feeling of him.

I arrived at the meadow. I thought about when me and Edward used to lie in the grass surrounded by flowers, sunlight dappling us. When we looked into each other's eyes...

The memory and her desperation fueled me. Finally, I saw a clearing ahead, and hurried toward it.

I stepped into the clearing, hopeful. My face fell. In contrast to the warmth of my memory, the meadow was cold, gloomy, cloudy. And no Edward. I closed my eyes, trying to force Edward there. Nothing. My eyes opened on the empty, overcast meadow. I sank to my knees, tears threatening. But then I heard a rustling noise. I turned toward it, and peered into the woods. Another rustling noise came from another part of the woods. I spun toward it - nothing. Then I turned and jumped when I saw vampire Laurent standing about ten yards away. Dreadlocks,
chiseled face. I couldn't believe it.

"Laurent?" I squinted, trying to see if it was really him.

"Alissa." He saw me and nodded hello.

I beamed, realizing that he was real. "Laurent!"

"I must admit," Laurent told me, "I didn't expect to find you here."

"I live here. But you - I thought you were in Alaska with Carlisle's friend."

"Tanya, I was. It was kind of him to arrange, given my association with James and Victoria, 'The Enemy.'"

"You tried to help us."

Laurent began to stroll in a slow arc around me, his eyes assessing me. "I went to visit the Cullens, but their house is empty. I'm surprised they left you behind. Weren't you sort of a pet of theirs?"

My smile faltered, fear beginning to dawn on me. "Um... something like that."

"Do the Cullens visit often?"

Suddenly, Edward's apparition appeared between me and Laurent. "Lie," he ordered.

"Absolutely," I lied. "All the time."

"Lie better," Edward ordered.

"I'll tell them you stopped by," I offered.

Edward faded.

"Will they be able to reach you in Alaska?" I asked.

"I don't think so. Tanya's 'vegetarian' family was pleasant enough. But the dietary restrictions were difficult - living on nothing but animals."

Suddenly, he was standing inches away from me. I now saw his eyes, which were dark blood-red.

"Tell me Bella," Laurent said conspiratorially. "Do you ever feel compelled to... cheat?"

I involuntarily took a step away from him.

"But that's not why I left," Laurent continued. "I came back here as a favor to Victoria."

"... You're still friends," I realized.

He shrugged. "More or less. She asked me to get the lay of the land with the Cullens. Because, well... I'm afraid Victoria is quite put out with you."

"That's... too bad."

"Yes. She feels it's only fair to kill Edward's mate, given he killed hers. Eye for an eye, mate for a mate."

And now I knew. Terror overwhelmed me.

Edward reappeared. "Threaten him."

"Edward will know who did it," I threatened. "He'll come after both of you."

Edward disappeared.

"I don't think he will," he replied. "After all, how much could you mean to him if he left you here unprotected? Victoria sent me here for information. She won't be happy about my killing you."

"No, Laurent..."

"No, no, no. Don't be upset. I'm doing you a kindness. Victoria plans on killing you slowly, painfully - whereas I'll make it very quick," he said sincerely. He inhaled. "And you smell so... mouth watering." He faced me, taking in my scent, bloodlust building. My eyes darted around. Escape was impossible.

The only thing I saw was the apparition of Edward, looking at me with alarm.

"Edward," I whispered, barely audible, "I love you."

Laurent was milliseconds from biting - then abruptly, his expression changed. He saw something in the forest behind me - and it terrified him. "I... don't believe it."

He stepped back. I was confused as I realized he was no longer focused on me. I followed his eyes, slowly turning... to find behind me an enormous black wolf, skulking out of the darkness of the woods. It stalked towards us, a low disturbing growl in its throat, sharp teeth gleaming. I was trapped between the two killers.

Edward whispered in my ear, "Don't. Move."

The wolf slinked closer to me, a mere twenty feet from where I stood, then four more wolves soundlessly emerged from the trees, flanking the black wolf. They were the size of small horses, all of different hues: dark silver, chocolate, ash and russet-brown. Their hackles were up, lips curling, bodies crouched, ready to spring.

I was frozen with fear as they came toward me. The russet-brown wolf was the closest and looked directly at me.

Laurent continued to retreat - then suddenly, almost simultaneously bolted across the meadow. The wolves sprung toward me and leapt right over me in pursuit of Laurent!

Their thunderous snarls and snaps shook me as the pack sprinted after the vampire, surrounding him before he reached the treeline. Laurent swung at the dark silver wolf, smacking the wolf halfway across the meadow. Another wolf lunged at Laurent. He kicked it and it sailed into a tree, splintering it.

The two wolves recovered, lurching back to the pack which closed in on Laurent. It was impossible to know who will prevail, but I wasn't going to stay to find out. I raced into the woods.

I ran frantically, tearing down the hillside, tripping, quickly picking myself up - running, running.

I dashed out of the treeline and to my car parked on the shoulder. I jumped in, and pealed out.

What the hell was that?!