Part 50

I pulled into the driveway. I climbed out and headed toward the house but stopped, relief washing over my face.

"Edward. You're here."

He stood by the house. I hurried toward him, but slowed when I saw his cold, distant face; an unreadable mask.

"Walk with me?" he asked.

Edward gently took my hand. Dread filled me, but I let him guide me toward the woods. Edward stopped by a fallen tree, and turned to me.

We need to leave Forks," he told me.

"What?" I asked, panicking. "Why?"

"It's time" he replied. "Carlisle's supposed to be ten years older than he looks; people will start noticing."

"But... when?"

"Now."

I reeled, trying to take it in. "I'll have to think of something to tell Charlie, but I can be ready."

"Not you. Us." He looked at me.

I was stunned. "What? No! Edward, what happened with Jasper - that was nothing."

"Right," he agreed. "Nothing. Nothing compared to what could happen. You don't belong in my world."

"I belong with you," I insisted.

"You don't," he argued.

"I'm coming," I insisted again.
"I don't want you to come!" Edward half-yelled.

I was stung, as if slapped. "You don't... want me?"

"No."

I stepped back, trying to understand it. But I just couldn't. We were just so happy twenty-five hours ago.

"I'd like to ask one favor though." He looked at me.

I looked up, hopeful. "Anything."

"Don't do anything stupid or reckless. Do you understand?" Hell no, I didn't understand! He added, "For Charlie's sake. Just... take care of yourself."

"I... yes... I will."

He softened ever-so-slightly. "Don't worry. You're human. Time heals all wounds for your kind. Particularly if you're not reminded."

Desperation welled up in me, overwhelming dignity. "No, this is - don't do this. Please."

He saw that I wouldn't let go easily. I took a breath. His face turned cold again. "Try to understand. Every second with you is about restraint. You're too fragile. I'm tired of pretending to be something I'm not. Reining myself in so I can be with a human."

"Then take my soul. I don't care! I don't want it without you."

He said sharply, "You're not good for me, Alissa."

I looked at him. His hard face. His resolve.

"I've let it go on too long. I'm sorry."

Tears stung my eyes. This couldn't be happening.

He stepped forward and kissed my forehead. I closed my eyes. "I promise," he said, "it will be like I never existed. Goodbye, Alissa."

By the time I opened my eyes, he was gone. "Wait." No response. "Edward!"

I realized that he gave me something that I would have to live with forever.

I already had anxiety. I would have to live with that anyway.

But now, I had depression too.

A/N: 50 chapters! This feels amazing! I feel so accomplished. It might sound dumb, but I'd like to thank a few people. The first person I'd like to thank is my dad. When I lived with him, he let me stay up as long as I wanted, just to write my stories. The second person I'd like to thank is my ex-best-friend, Jordan. She introduced me to Twilight, and I'm forever thankful. But of course, someone got between us, and we aren't talking anymore.  DM me if you want to know more. The last person I'd like to thank is my best friend, Catherine. As some of you might know, I need music to write good stories. Catherine is the one who introduced me to most of the songs I listen to while I write this story. Anyway, love you all! Thanks for reading!