Part 61

I carried my tray to an empty table, but looked over at Mike, Angela, Jessica and Eric. I took a breath, then casually joined them. They took note, but keep talking.

"I'll kill Tyler if he gave me his flu," Jessica told the rest of them.

"It's going around," Angela added. "My sister was so sick she couldn't come on our hike this weekend... so she didn't see it."

"Ang," Eric told her, "maybe you should keep that to yourself-"

"We saw something, Eric," Angela interrupted.

"I believe you," he replied.

"No he doesn't," Jessica told Angela. "He's just trying to get lucky."

"Is that option?" Eric asked, hopeful.

Angela ignored him. "It was jet black and huge; on all fours it was still taller than a person. A bear maybe."

"Or Bigfoot," Jessica added.

"Or an alien," Mike offered. "Lucky you didn't get probed."

"... We saw it," Angela said quietly. She was serious. And a little scared.

"You're not the only one," I said. Oh shit, did I just speak?

They all looked at me.

"My dad's been getting reports at the sheriff's station," I continued. "A couple hikers went missing. People are scared."

Everyone was chilled.

"I did hear some guy talking about it at the store," Mike offered.

"Last time you clowns doubt my girlfriend," Eric threatened.

As they continued, Angela mouthed "thanks" to me. We shared a smile and joined in, me becoming part of the group.