Part 78

The door slammed open. I raced into my room, shoving clothes into a bag.

Jacob dogged me, protesting. "Why do you have to go?"

"He won't believe Alice. He has to see that I'm alive."

He stopped me. "He left you, Alissa. He didn't want you anymore, remember?"

"But I still love him, and I'm not gonna let him kill himself out of guilt."

The words wounded him. But I couldn't stop to soothe him. I pulled away and continued packing.

"What about your dad?" Jacob asked.

"I'm eighteen, legally free to go. I'll leave a note."

Alice entered. "Got the airline tickets."

Jacob squared off with Alice. "You Cullens might hunt animals but those monsters in Italy don't."

"I'm well aware what the Volturi are."

"Then why are you taking Alissa to them like a bottle of wine to a party?"

"Right, she's better off here with Victoria stalking her. The one you dogs can't seem to catch?"

Jacob growled, a shudder ripping through him.

I interceded, stopping him from morphing by grabbing Alice. "Let's go," I said to Alice.

Alice flew to her car.

Jacob caught my arm. Not hostile. Just pleading. "Please, Bella. Stay here. For Charlie... for me."

I saw the love in my eyes, but I couldn't stay, although this could be the last time I ever saw him. I hugged him, then pulled away. "Bye, Jacob."

I got in the car. I tried to pull on my seatbelt, but Alice stopped me. "Maybe Jacob's right."

I tried to interrupt.

"No. You need to realize - the Volturi could easily see me as Edward's accomplice. And you're a human who knows too much and tastes too good. They could kill us all."

My response was to yank my seat belt into its clip. Alice saw that I wouldn't change my mind. She shifted into gear and peeled out. I looked out the window for Jacob. He wasn't there. I turned toward the woods. Shredded clothing flew in the air as I saw the hind legs of a wolf disappear into the forest. I fought tears, but was determined as hell.

A/N: The next chapter is going to come to you from Edward!