But, it didn’t turn out like that. His attempts to push Peter away merely drew him closer, his attempts to get the boy to hate him only made Caelum fall further in love with him. Peter was strong, resilient, and stayed with Caelum despite everything he said and did. He was loyal, and Caelum appreciated it. He didn’t deserve a friend like Peter, he didn’t deserve to be in love with Peter.

“Caelum?” Matthew prompted, and Caelum shook himself out of his thoughts and self-loathing. “Will you be alright for now?” He needed to get his act together, he needed to stop worrying about Peter and Principal David and start worrying about the important things ― his brothers.

“If I am released, do you think the police will allow me to investigate the area he said my brothers were being held at?” He asked Matthew, who raised an eyebrow at the sudden question.

“I wouldn’t know,” Matthew said, honestly. “Based on the video, Davis had already been shown in a disturbed mental state. Like I said, there’s no way to prove the information, but―”

“If the police believe him to be lying, then there would be no question for me to go see for myself?” He asked, and Matthew frowned, neither confirming nor denying anything. Caelum didn’t need him to.

“I don’t want you doing anything that would put you in danger,” Matthew advised. “And in any way, if the information is correct, it would be best to contact the police before trying to see if you could do it yourself ― this is real life, not Scooby Doo.”

“I never said it was, sir,” Caelum replied, sitting straight. “But, thank you for the advice.”

Matthew pressed his lips together. Then, he stepped forward and lightly set a hand on his shoulder. He tried not to tense under his hold. “We’re going to find you brothers, Caelum,” Matthew assured. “Don’t worry.” He slipped something in front of Caelum. A small business card. "Call us, if you need something, alright?"

“Thank you,” Caelum said monotonously. He waited for the man to leave the room before he began to scheme, thinking of a way to get out of this cell.

° · ° · ° · °

He waited a good hour after Foggy and Matthew left before trying anything. They would just get in the way of his escape, and he needed this to be as smooth as possible.

“Sir!” He called out the partially opened door. “Is anyone there?” He waited a few minutes before calling out again, “Hello!? Is anyone out there?”

A minute later, a man stepped in the cell. He was well-rounded, with a balding head, no facial hair, and a particularly tight uniform. His hand rested on his waist where his gun was, along with a set of keys. “I need to use the restroom, and I think I cut myself earlier with these cuffs ― I don’t want to get tetanus,” he forced a convincing chuckle. “Do you think I can get these off? It’s not like I’m going anywhere in a place full of cops.”

The man seemed to consider this before stepping forward, pulling his key ring off. He flipped through a few before bending over, pushing a key in the hole and twisting it. It clicked and Caelum stood, stepping away from the chair. He smiled at the man, looking him in the eyes. “Thank you.”

He was in the officer’s body. He moved down to the chair, and sat, then maneuvered his thick, calloused fingers to lock himself in. From there, he waited about five minutes until his neck started to burn, and he was forced out of the body.

He stepped back as the man slumped forward, unconscious. He turned and began to move for the door, twisting the knob and stepping out. He scanned the hallway, seeing a few officers milling around, talking, or hurrying from one place to another.