Chapter 33

"So are you girls just not going to talk about college with me then?" Sara asked,  her eyes shifting to the back mirror where she saw her twin daughters hunched over each others phones, purposefully making no eye contact with their mother.

"We still have a year, mom. There's no need to stress us over it all now," Scarlet said quickly, keeping her eyes glued to her phone. Clary nodded silently before increasing the volume of her music. 

Sara shock her head but said nothing for the rest of the ride until she stopped in front of the community center. Both Scar and Clary positioned themselves to get out of the car but stopped when they found the doors childproofed and locked. Scar was once again first to glare at her mother who looked at the two of them patiently.

"We are going to be late, mom. Can't we talk about college later?" Sara eyed Scar and then Clary before asking what was the silent question throughout the afternoon.

"Why did your usual friends from Derby not drive you today?" Clary and Scar exchanged exasperated looks before rounding on their mother.

"Alicia isn't a car service mom! She has her off days too." 

"Off days that qualify not answering any of your messages?" Sara asked, watching her daughters cautiously. Clary looked toward the window pensively while Scarlet looked her mother head on and stubbornly told her mother to drop it and let them out. Sara ended it there and unlocked the doors, and together Scar and Clary rushed to practice.

You'd think she wouldn't want us to come to practice today or something," Scar muttered under her breath as they barged into the locker room and hastily started placing their gear on their arms, legs and shoulders. The room was already filled with the bags from their other teammates, only further worrying the two girls of how late they were. Clary stayed quiet as she hooked her skates on before talking softly.

"How did mom find out about Alicia not texting us back?" Scar shrugged.

"She probably still monitors our phones. Either way it doesn't matter. You ready?" Scar was ready to go and was just tightening her helmet when Clary joined her and together the two exited the locker rooms. 

Out on the rink they found their team warming up; everyone rushing from one side of the circle to the other, some going on the ramps and others staying at the bottom ring. No one seemed to notice the twins entrance until Scarlet started onto the rink. 

The head of their team, Abby stopped right in front Scarlet, blocking her from going further. The rest of the team stopped what they were doing and a few skated over to hear what was going on. Scarlet looked at Abby with confusion mixed with irritation while Abby showed little, emotion wise.

"Where were you two yesterday?" Abby questioned, eyeing the twins coldly. 

"Ballet rehearsal. Why? Did we miss a game?" Abby scoffed at Scarlet's lack of understanding while one of the other players, Jenny, muttered "ballet" in a overly girly tone under her breath. Scarlet frowned toward Jenny and then glanced back at Abby defiantly.

"What's going on?"

"What's going on is that you two keep missing practices and don't seem to care about it," Abby stated plainly as she looked between the two girls.

"And of all things, you miss it for ballet. Don't we allow you enough time to go to your daily classes as it is?"

"We need to be at rehearsal in order to keep our spots in the Alice in wonderland performance," Clary cut in, moving to side with her sister. Scarlet internally groaned at her sister for naming the ballet. Cool girls who do roller derby wouldn't find Alice in Wonderland to be a particularly good substitute for any roller derby activity. Scarlet was right for a few of the other players coming forward to listen in, suddenly halted and turned to each other with bewailed expressions.