Chapter 36

The wolf above is Jumper

The days following the battle were hard. Misty grieved heavily for Jumper and didn't really eat anything for a few days. But she realized he'd died for a reason and went on with life like he'd want. Even though her heart was aching for the warmth of her best friend.

Sadly, Fire was killed by a Thunder-stick. His bravery and wisdom would never be forgotten.

Wounds had to be patched, bodies to be buried. It wasn't easy, but they were pulling through.

Rascal decided to never give away Tyrant's terrible secret. It wasn't his to tell.

Moondancer spent a lot of her time with Blossom. The healer taught her the many uses of medicines and patching wounds.

The she-pup also learned valuable fighting techniques from Rascal. He helped her keep her balance on three legs and showed her new ways to manage fighting on one hind leg.

Rascal watched as Jumper and Fire were buried. Misty sat beside him, eyes round with sorrow.

Tyrant crouched by Fire's grave. Rascal knew they were closer than brothers. He padded up to the alpha and touched his tail to his flank.

Tyrant gave him a long look, then headed back toward camp.

Misty placed a few large stones on Jumper's mound. She arranged them so they looked nice, then bent her head to whisper her final goodbyes.

Rascal felt guilty for the brown wolf's death.

He saved me.....

But he shook his head and remembered that Jumper died for a cause. He had saved Rascal because he knew Misty loved him.

Misty whispered a few more inaudible words, then turned to Rascal. He gave her a quick embrace. Then they went back to camp.

~•~•~•~

Rascal woke up one morning about a week after the battle. Misty was curled beside him, her head against his shoulder.

He smiled and wrapped his tail around her. I love you, Misty...

He gave her a gentle lick on the forehead, then shifted himself so he wouldn't wake her, then slipped out into the frosty air.

Snow dotted the clearing. White flakes fell from the sky. Tyrant was already out, sitting in the mouth of his den.

Rascal went and sat beside him. "Have you decided who the new second-in-command will be?" He asked, trying to sound casual.

Tyrant nodded. "Yes." His amber eyes flicked in the direction of Blossom's den.

Rascal tilted his head. Then realized. Isaac is in there.....

Rascal broke the eerie silence. "I......I forgive you, Tyrant."

The old wolf snapped his eyes on Rascal. "Y-you what?"

"I forgive you." Rascal let every ounce of bitterness and anger leave his body. "I forgive you for killing my father."

Tyrant swallowed hard and looked at his paws. "I wasn't sure you would ever forgive me. But I'm glad you did. I wanted us to have the father-son relationship neither of us got to have with Copper." He gazed at his grandson. "If that's okay with you..."

"It is." Rascal didn't regret his forgiveness. It made him feel whole, reborn.

Tyrant nodded then howled for a Pack meeting.

Wolves groggily poured from their dens. Misty's form peered out from her den, eyes bleary with sleep.

Tyrant waited for everyone to get settled before making his announcement.

"I have come to a conclusion on who my new second-in-command will be." He paused and surveyed his Pack until he spotted a dark gray pelt. "Isaac will be the new second-in-command."

The Pack cheered and howled. Isaac sat mouth agape, eyes wide. Blossom nudged him gently on the shoulder. He quickly shook his head and made his way through the crowd to stand before his leader.

"Fire was a noble and loyal wolf. When he was injured, you willingly took his place until he was well again. He even told me you were a wonderful temporary replacement. And today, I will honor a final request from our dear friend. Fire asked me if anything was ever to happen to him, that you would take his place." Tyrant looked Isaac in the eye. "Do you, Isaac, wolf of Flame Woods Pack, accept the honor of becoming our second-in-command?"

Isaac stood straighter and puffed out his chest. "I do."

"Then I name you, Isaac, second-in-command of Flame Woods Pack." Tyrant placed a paw on the dark wolf's forehead.

Everyone howled and pawed at the air. Isaac faced his pack, clearly feeling uncomfortable being the center of attention. Blossom bounded to him and touched her nose to his. He gazed at everyone, warmth in his eyes.

Rascal watched as Misty padded to her cousin's side and butted him gently in the shoulder. Isaac grinned and raised his tail.

Rascal gazed around at the Pack. Misty was at his side. She pushed her muzzle into his fur and closed her eyes. Rascal wrapped his tail around her, finally feeling at home.

This is where he's wanted. These are his Packmates...

I am finally home.

The End

A Wolf's Tale is complete!!!! I can't believe it's come to an end!! But don't worry, book two is coming soon!!!

Thanks so much to y'all who supported this story!! I absolutely appreciate every bit of your support!! ❤️❤️❤️ And I can't thank you enough for that!!!

Sincerely,
15thSoccerGirl