Chapter 19

Over the past few weeks, Rascal had become friends with Moondancer, Hawk, and Sparrow. The three cheeky pups are always begging him to play or have him tell them a story. It was hard to say no to such inquisitive pups. Rascal was glad he made friends among the youngest Pack members.

"Let's play Hunt!" Hawk bounced around with his tail in the air.

"I don't like that game," Sparrow, the timid one of the group, shook his head and tucked his tail between his legs. "It's kinda scary."

"You don't have to play if you don't want to," Hawk raised his nose into the air. "Rascal will play with us. Won't you?" His amber eyes flitted over to the black wolf sitting a few paw-steps away.

"Of course I'll play." He got to his paws with a wide grin spread over his muzzle.

"I'll watch..." Sparrow slunk a few paces away.

"Can I play the elk?" Moondancer squealed and danced around Hawk.

"I thought Rascal should play the elk. He's bigger, you know." Hawk gazed at Rascal. "Do you want to be the elk?"

Rascal noticed the frustration light up in Moondancer's pale blue-gray eyes. "As long as Moondancer is okay with it, I'll gladly be the elk."

The gray she-pup wagged her tail, excitement suddenly replacing annoyance. "Okay!" She bounded over to a pile of rocks, standing on it with her tail high. "I'll be the scout wolf!"

Hawk nodded. "Okay, I want to be the hunter."

"We'll both end up being hunters, silly." Moondancer's high voice was edged with reminding.

Rascal's green eyes flicked over to Sparrow. The little red-brown wolf was staring at his siblings in longing. Was he jealous because Rascal played with them now? To ease the tension, he called out to the pup.

"Are you sure you don't want to play?"

Sparrow shook his head.

"If you were the leader, then would you join in?"

The pup's eyes snapped open. He nodded vigorously and scampered over to his siblings.

Hawk's brown eyes narrowed to slits. "Why does he get to be the leader?"

Sparrow winced hurt lighting up his face. He looked as though he was about to change his mind about playing. Rascal leaned over and whispered in Hawk's ear. "Try to make him feel welcome. You know how anxious he can be."

Hawk stared up in the adult wolf's face, nodding in understanding. Turning to his brother, he said. "You'd make a fine leader, Sparrow. Call our Pack whatever you want!" He brushed his brother's brownish fur, with his own red pelt.

Sparrow scuffed his paws over the ground. "Thanks." He murmured quietly, scrabbling up the pile of rocks Moondancer was sitting on.

"Let's start!" Hawk yipped, he and Moondancer staring at Sparrow expectantly.

"Um....hi....?" Sparrow didn't look like he knew what he was doing.

"You're the leader," Moondancer explained. "You're supposed to give us orders."

The small male shook his head. "Oh..y-yeah." He cleared his throat and raised his head. "The Pack needs more...." He trailed off.

"Meat," Rascal whispered in his ear.

"Meat." He repeated. "So....?"

"I need two very important wolves to catch us an elk." Rascal helped him out gently.

"I need two very important wolves to catch an elk." He swallowed. "Moondancer, Hawk?"

Moondancer leaped off the pile of rocks and pretended to be running from her den. "Yes, sir?" She and Hawk asked at the same time.