Chapter 32

The wolves raced down as one. They matched one another stride for stride. Rascal could feel his heart pumping with adrenaline. He glanced sideways and saw everyone bolt into battle. The thumping of paws and the pounding of anxious hearts filled his ears. It all comes down to this.

The wolves leaped into the fight. Chaos erupted.

Rascal landed on a Mortal, and tackled him to the ground. Before it could get to its feet, Rascal killed it with a quick bite to the throat.

Rascal moved through the dogs and Mortals, weaving in and out and giving deep bites along the way. He lashed out quickly, jumping out of the way by mere inches each time. He made sure to keep moving, if he stopped, he would be as good as gone.

A small dog grasped Rascal's tail in its teeth. He gasped and thrust out his hind legs, landing a heavy kick to the dog's face.

It was stunned, so Rascal knocked it to the ground and finished him off.

He glanced up to see the battle. Jumper and Stream were fighting side by side, driving back a pair of dogs. Fire, Melody, Maya, and Aura took down a group of Mortals.

Rascal was thrown sideways. Then a heavy weight smashed his belly to the ground. He barely saw his attacker—a black and white dog with huge yellow eyes.

It sliced along his shoulders and tore into his flesh. Rascal gritted his teeth and tried to get back up. The dog shoved him down every time he tried to stand. Anger flared in Rascal's belly.

Stupid mutt!!

A white blur pushed the dog away. It shook its head in astonishment.

Misty!!

The she-wolf was bristling defensively. Her green eyes glowing viciously.

The dog leapt at her, she moved to the side, lashing out as the dog flew by.

It whimpered and turned around. Its face was splotched with blood. Misty had landed a smart blow. She engaged and went for the face. The dog eventually was done fighting and turned, tail between its legs, and ran away.

Misty was at Rascal's side in an instant. "You okay?"

He could only nod. His throat was shut with fear.

Misty pressed against him. "I'll always be here to help." She gave him a lick on the cheek and went back into battle.

Rascal watched her go. When she disappeared in the crowd, he carried on with the fight.

He could feel his muscles pull as he strained to pull a dog away from Howler. The Stone Hollow Pack alpha gave Rascal a nod and blocked a dog from hitting Rascal.

The stench of blood was strong. And a clap of thunder released a hard rain. It splattered down on the fighting creatures, mixing with the blood and dirt. Falling in heavy sheets of thick rain, drenching everything. Rascal's pelt was completely soaked. He felt his coarse through his fur and drip from his chin.

Rascal lashed out at any dog or Mortal he saw. He no longer remembered his fear or doubt. That didn't matter. Not when the future of his home was at stake.

His heart was racing, every nerve in his body alert. The pain coming from the bites and scratches barely reached his mind.

The entire forest was in his paws.

If we all die, it'll be all my fault...

He pushed aside his negative thoughts and carried on with the battle.

*•*•*•*

How much longer can we keep this up?

Rain splattered through Rascal's coat as Fern patched a wound on his back. As soon as she was finished, he took off down the steep hill and jumped on a pair of Mortals. They fell to the ground, and he quickly dispatched them.

Rascal charged head-first into a dog. It crashed into the rocky wall of the hollow. It doubled over in pain and gasped. Rascal finished him and moved on to the next victim.

Two small dogs leaped on his back. Rascal bucked and spun every which way. The tiny canines were scratching fiercely at his flesh. The freshly patched wound reopening.

The weight was suddenly lifted, and two pain-filled shrieks filled his ears.

"Thanks." Rascal panted as he turned around. But he gasped when he saw who it was.

"Did you honestly think I'd let some mutt kill you before I could?" The voice sneered.

Rascal swallowed nervously and stared, in shock at the wolf in front of him.

Skylark......

Okay, I had to rewrite this chapter because Wattpad was being a butt and deleted it :P so sorry if it isn't as good as the others. I was so frustrated when I had to do a redo. But anyway, enjoy!! ❤️
Thanks for reading!!!

Sincerely,
15thSoccerGirl