Chapter 20

**WARNING** The following chapter contains some gore and other disturbing scenes! If you don't like gore, don't read it!!!!

Misty woke to the sound of Wren's frantic call.

"My pups!! Where are my pups?!"

Not wasting a moment, Misty shot out of her den as fear swamped her. She bounded over to Wren's den, where the mother wolf was emerging; her fur bristling and eyes wide with alarm.

Everyone else was awake by now. Some of the she-wolves tried to comfort the red wolf. Tyrant pushed through the crowd and faced Wren. "Where were your pups last seen?"

The she-wolf couldn't speak. Trembling, her eyes stared off at some unseen horror far, far away.

"She's in shock," Blossom came up beside Wren. "I'll take her to my den. You must take a group of wolves to the forest," Her violet eyes glimmered with determination. "I'll give her something to calm down." She guided Wren away from everyone else.

"What do we do?" Isaac demanded, shoving through to stare at Tyrant. "Would Stone Hollow Pack have done this?"

"We'll question that later." Rascal stood beside the exit. "I think I heard dogs out there." He pawed the ground nervously.

Tyrant nodded. "I'll take Thorn, Okami, Misty, Rose, and Rascal. Fire, I want you to take Isaac, Thunder, Moon, Archie, and Sky. Hurry now! We have no time to lose!" With that, he spun around and raced through the stone tunnel. Misty ran along at his flank with the feeling of her heart in her throat.

Fog set the forest in an eerie glow. Puffs of breath billowed the air as the wolves exhaled. Blood roaring in her ears, Misty caught a scent. A scent that made her bristle.

Dogs!

She opened her mouth to let Tyrant know, but he must've already known. He swerved the wolves in another direction. Rascal came up to Misty's side. His green eyes were wide and his teeth bared.

They approached the oldest part of the forest, where barks and whimpers rippled to her ears. After another moment, they burst into a clearing. Misty skidded to a stop and gasped in horror.

A pack of wild dogs was crowded together, fighting over something on the ground. Through their legs, Misty could make out a flash of brown, red, and silver.

The pups!

The wolves snarled and raced into the crowd. The dogs continued to maul the three little pups. They tossed them, shook them, and snapped their bones. The noise made Misty sick, but she pushed the thought away as she leaped onto a big dog.

It whirled around, blood staining its muzzle. Misty growled and forcefully shoved its head to the ground. It lashed out and caught Misty's leg. She stumbled and fell. She turned around as the dog made a break for one of the pups.

Misty scrambled to her paws and raced forth. The dog had Hawk's barely recognizable body and tossed it into the air. Misty let rage take over, and tackled the dog. She tore into its belly, raking her claws over its face, and soon enough, the dog's face was a torn mask.

Misty couldn't stop; she didn't want to. The dog howled and starting hitting Misty's muzzle over and over until it bled fiercely. She snarled, drooling all over her opponent.

She bit the dog. He counter-attacked by slamming a paw to the side of her head. Dazed, she shook her head, diving forward and hooking around his front paws. She yanked him down. His chin hit the ground. Misty wrapped her paws around his neck. She held him in a headlock, using her back legs to press his flailing paws away from her face.