Chapter 31

Rascal paced the hollow. He kept his gaze down and clenched his jaw. He didn't want to talk to anyone. Even Misty. The previous memories flashed repeatedly in his troubled mind.

"Copper is my son."

"Because I'm the one who killed him..."

"I am that ruthless killer!"

Everything that had happened earlier was bad enough. The battle was gonna be just as worst.

He could hear scuffling paw steps. He glanced up into Tyrant's old eyes.

"What is it?" He asked dryly. His voice was nearly gone from screaming his head off earlier.

"Howler and I decided that we'd attack from the top of the hollow, surrounding the sides. Once the Mortals are in position, we'll rush down and finish them there." He explained awkwardly.

"Why are you really here?" Rascal moved his body to face him.

Tyrant looked startled. "Just wanted to make sure you were preparing for tonight." His eyes gleamed in an offer. "If you need any help, I'll gladly help you."

Rascal snorted. "Thanks but no thanks. I don't need help. Especially from you." He tried to move past the old wolf, but he stood in his way.

"Rascal, I'm really sorry."

"It's too late." Rascal felt the anger burn in his eyes. "Maybe it would've been best if you never told me that you were my grandfather."

"There were times I was afraid you'd kill me. And I couldn't bear the thought."

"Oh, you mean the way you killed my father?" Rascal almost yelled the words, but his sore voice kept him quiet.

"I just didn't want you to turn out like me."

Rascal clenched his teeth and stalked off to where a few wolves were sharing a meal. Skylark was among them. The silver wolf looked at Rascal with a mixture of annoyance and pride.

He forced himself to stay calm. "Hey, Skylark." He sat next to the larger wolf, realizing how small he was compared to the silver wolf.

Skylark's eyes flashed with pleasure. "Why hello, "bud"." He put his head to one side. "Wanna share this meal with me?"

Rascal thankfully didn't have to answer. Howler and Tyrant bounded across the hollow, yelling orders to get in formation.

It's time.

Rascal could feel his heart quicken. It has come. The moment when they fight like they haven't fought before. The moment when they stand side by side. The moment when they may lose their lives. All for their home and everything they've always known.

Rascal gazed around at the gathering wolves. Misty, Isaac, and Jumper all came to stand beside him.

Ella bounded up to him, a sorry look in her eyes. "I just want to apologize."

Rascal blinked. "For what?"

"Disappointing you." She murmured. "I couldn't let myself go into this battle without you knowing that I'm your sister, and always will be. And that I love you more than anyone else could." She straightened up and puffed out her chest. "I'll die fighting for this forest."

Rascal was touched by her words. " I love you too, Ella. And I'm sorry for overreacting. You're a grown wolf, and you can make your own decisions."

Rascal and Ella embraced each other before getting in line with the other wolves.

The healers were sitting beside Howler and Tyrant. Rascal caught Blossom's eye. He flinched and looked at Moondancer. The she-pup was wagging her tail fiercely. Determination lit up her gray eyes.

Tyrant gazed out into the crowd. "Attention wolves of Lifeless Forest!" After the chatter settled down, he continued. "We gather today to fight for what is ours." His eyes fell on Rascal. "One wolf in particular thought of this plan." He flicked his tail. "Come here, Rascal."

Rascal flinched at his name. He gulped and slowly made his way to the front. Once in place, he turned around and stared blindly at the wolves. His legs felt like water. He glanced at Tyrant, who gave him a nod to go ahead and speak.

I can do this......

Rascal took a deep breath and faced the wolves.

"You all know why we're here. We g-gather t-today to stand and defend our home. I know you're all scared, and believe me, I'm just as nervous as you. But, if we trust and believe in each other, we can accomplish anything." He paused to draw in another breath and caught Misty's eye. It gave him the strength to go on. " This is our forest. It's not theirs. We've lived here since the dawn of time. Are we gonna let some Mortals come and take what rightfully belongs to us?"

Misty, Ella, Isaac, Moondancer, and Jumper howled out first. "No!"

"Are we gonna let them push us around?"

Everyone hollered. "No!"

"And why?"

"Because this is our home!"

Howls and barks of courage spread throughout the wolves. Some of them leaped and jumped and pranced about.

Rascal proudly looked at the gathered wolves.

We came together to defend our home. It wasn't easy, but thank you River. I couldn't have done any of this without you.

The wolves began dividing up around the hollow, peering in over the lip of the cliff.

Maya from Stone HollowPack raced around the corner, eyes wild. "They're here!"

Rascal held in his breath as everyone hushed down. The sound of dogs barking came closer and closer. Until finally, their enemy emerged from thick bushes and into Crossed Streams.

Howler and Tyrant looked at Rascal, nodding silently. Rascal returned the gesture and whipped his tail. It's time. The fight of Rascal's life.

In three,
Two,
One,

Rascal swallowed.

Let's do this.......

I'm a jerk, aren't I? Putting Y'all on a cliffhanger at the juicy part. Well hang on just a bit longer my friends, you'll find out what happens soon enough. 😏

Sincerely,
15thSoccerGirl