Chapter_12

I quietly walked into the squad room the next morning, and I brought coffee to start apologizing for the way I acted towards Fin. I walked towards his desk, where he was playing solitaire, and I sat the cup down before quietly walking towards my desk.

"Why'd you get me coffee?" Fin asked, as he took the top off of his cup, and took a drink.

"Because I'm a stupid, hormonal, pregnant woman who was really angry two days ago. I'm sorry for yelling at you, and if you don't mind continuing to protect me every once and awhile." I spoke, and he nodded as he went back to his game.

As a man of very few words, I knew that Fin was accepting my apology. The coffee just sweetened the deal.

He and I stayed quiet until Alex showed up, and I could tell something was wrong because we hadn't called her, and she looked like she could kill someone.

"Alex, what's wrong?" I asked, as I stood up and stared at her.

"Any of you wondering where Nick is? Because Detective Amaro is in jail." She huffed, and I swallowed hard before grabbing my jacket.

"Where the hell do you think you're going? You have to stay here and start investigating, because he got into a fight with his wife last night and she is claiming he beats her regularly." She replied, and I looked at Fin and frowned.

"Okay, I'll look into it." I whispered, and she nodded as she walked towards Cragen's office. I swallowed hard as I looked at her open the door then slam it again.

As soon as she was in the office, I was standing and gathering my stuff.

"Where are you going, Liv?" Fin asked, and I sighed.

"I'm gonna check on Nick. See if he has a lawyer and if not, I'll get him one." I frowned, before leaving the squad room.

<^>

Fin and I went to see Nick in jail. What might've been called a domestic violence issue, where he beat Maria, but right now it looked like he had the shit kicked out of him.

"Nick, are you okay?" I asked, as I shoved my hands into the pockets of my jacket.

"What are you two doing here? I didn't call anyone but Alex on purpose." He frowned.

"Because she came in and got pissed off at us. What happened?"

"Nothing. Just go back to the precinct." He groaned, as he sat down on the cold metal bench, and ran his bruised hands through his hair.

"No, we aren't going back to the precinct. Did you call a lawyer?" I asked, as I grabbed onto the bars and held onto them tightly.

"No, I didn't. No one is gonna believe me, so why try?" He sighed, and I could tell he had lost hope.

"What happened, Amaro?" Fin asked. Nick looked at me and then back at Fin.

"Fin, I want to talk to Liv alone. Please." Nick begged, and Fin nodded. He touched my shoulder as he walked past me, and I waited till he had left the room, and I turned back through the bars and at Nick.

"Alright, what happened?"

"I got home and Maria was laying on the ground and was bleeding really bad. She had a boyfriend, and he was drinking beer in the kitchen. I was so pissed at her and him, but she's still my wife. I went into the kitchen and I beat him up, and he also kicked my ass. Maria called the police and blamed the abuse on me, and not him." He frowned, and I sighed as I kicked the bar slightly with the toe of my boot.

"I'll get you a lawyer. Tell them everything. I'll find some proof and we'll have you out soon."

"Liv-"

"Nah, don't. I'm taking care of this all. Good men don't deserve to go to jail for what bad men do."

<^>

I called Rita Calhoun and she said she'd take Nick's case on. I told her that all the legal fees are to be sent to me, because after this, I'm sure Maria is going to try and suck Nick dry of every penny he has.

"Benson, my office. Now!" Cragen yelled, as soon as I walked back into the squad room. I sighed as I sat my cup on my desk, before walking into his office. He slammed the door behind me, and pointed at the chair in front of his desk.

"Sit." He ordered, and I nodded as I walked towards one of the very uncomfortable seats that have been in this office probably longer than Cragen has been captain.

"Okay, so you can't put me on desk duty, because I'm already on there. But you can suspend me for not following orders. Or you can let me continue to work because I need to work or else I'll go crazy." I sighed.

"You and Fin went to see Nick."

"Yes." I replied.

"Why would you do that? Alex told you not to." He replied.

"Because he's my partner, Captain."

"I don't care that he is your partner. He is a perp now."

"He didn't do it. You should've seen him. I'm pretty sure his nose is broken, and maybe a few of his ribs."

"Because Maria fought back!" He exclaimed, and I shook my head.

"Because he found Maria on the floor of their living room, after her boyfriend kicked the shit out of her." I frowned, before standing and going to the door.

"Where do you think you're going?" He asked.

"To prove that Nick is innocent. Don't worry, I'm not going to get shot at. Fin will be joining me."

<^>

I knew that there would be consequences for what Fin and I were doing, but I didn't care. If Maria was framing Nick, we'd figure it out and charge her and the boyfriend if we had to.

Fin and I walked up the steps of Nick's house, and I saw a dent in the metal screen door on the outside of their house.

"Looks about Nick's height." Fin spoke, and I nodded.

"Yeah." I frowned.

We finished our walk up the steps, before Fin knocked on the door. After a few minutes, Maria came to the door. Her face was completely bruised, and the way the bruises were broken up by a ring gave me an idea. After this, we'd go and check out the pictures they took so we can figure out what the ring says.

"What are you guys doing here?" She croaked out, as she pulled her robe up around her neck.

"Maria, we want to help you and Nick. We just need the truth." I spoke, but she shook her head.

"I told the truth. Nick did this to me. Now leave." She spoke, as she went to shut the door, but I put my foot in the way and stopped her.

"If you tell us everything, we will give you immunity. We won't charge you with framing Nick, and trying to get money out of him. If you tell us who you're boyfriend is, we can help." I spoke, and she looked at me as tears welled in her eyes. She swallowed hard before stepping back and letting us into the house.

Hey guys! Thanks for reading! Please vote and comment all of your feedback below! :D