“We are allowed to go to the library or any other place,” Peter replied sharply. “Is something wrong, Principal Davis?”

“I need to. . . speak with Mr. Forest.” Caelum's heart fell from his neck to his stomach. “Come over here. We need to talk about how you spend your free time.”

“I don't think that's important,” Peter quipped, holding tighter to Caelum's arm. “In fact, Cael and I were just about to go to the library to study for finals. Right, Cael?” He wasn't breathing. He was staring at Principal Davis, who was glaring at the two of them. Peter took his silence for yes. “Great, goodbye sir.”

The bell rang and seconds the halls were flooded with students. Peter pulled Caelum away and he saw Principal Davis angrily pushing past students to get to him.

They didn't go to the library. Instead, Peter dragged them outside and he sat near the wall.

Caelum stumbled back, his hands sweaty and eyes wide. He couldn't breathe. He fell to the ground, holding unto the wall. He couldn't breathe. Peter was talking to him, everything was dizzy.

Principal Davis was going to kill him. Last time he ran, his father beat him nearly to death. Tears burned his eyes, he couldn't breathe. He didn't want to die. He didn't want to die.

Peter hugged his shoulders, pulling him close to him, “Calm down, calm down.”

Caelum realized he was crying, he felt the tears stain Peter's shea butter lotion shirt. He felt tears hit the top of his head too. Peter was crying.

“I. . . I can't,” Caelum sniffed, rubbing his nose. He didn't want to pull away just yet. “I have to. . . I have to go back, I can't. . .” He would put his brothers in foster care. He would kill him. He wouldn't be able to do anything ever again.

He had no choice. He just had to hold out, he had to wait until he was eighteen. Then, he could take the boys and leave. Then, he would be safe again.

“You can't stay here,” Peter said and Caelum shook his head.

“I have no choice.” There was nowhere else for him to go. Principal Davis knew where he lived, he hired men to kidnap him, for Christ's sake!

“You need to go to the police,” Peter said angrily. “Cael, look at you! If you keep this up, you're going to die.” Caelum blinked, that didn't sound like a bad idea.

No, stop. He couldn't think that way. Caelum stood, wiping his face. “Thanks Parker, but I have to go.”

“Caelum, listen to me,” Peter begged. “You can't. . . you can't live like this. Please, just. . . let me help. I can help.”

How?” Caelum scoffed, staring at the boy. The colour drained from his face and his mouth was opening and closing like a fish. He looked like he wanted to say something, but something was holding back his tongue.

Caelum scoffed, he didn't need false hope at a time like this. He needed a clear head and a plan, and Peter Parker wasn't providing either of those things. “Bye, Parker,” he said with a heavy sense of finality and went back inside.

° · ° · ° · °

That night was worse than most. Principal Davis wasn't happy at all with his little 'getaway’ with Peter, despite Caelum coming back and apologizing to him.

But, strangely enough, he didn't stay the night, as usual. In between their lovely session of beating Caelum until he was blacker and blue, his phone buzzed. Caelum was on the floor, unable to see what was happening, but whatever it was, it was important. “Stay here!” Principal Davis growled, “We're not through yet!”