Innocent Mute (OHSHC Love Story) Chapter 24

Lucy’s/Suzu’s P.O.V

Things used to be so much harder; so why does it seem my life is crashing?

I woke up suddenly, sitting straight up, crying out after the image of Noah holding the gun in his mouth.

“N-No… no, no…” I sobbed softly, arms going around my waist as Arnold kissed the nape of my throat lovingly.

“It’s okay, baby girl… Just a dream…”

We were surrounded by thick darkness, his voice and touch seeming that much more prominent with one of my senses being blocked out. We lay on the bottom bunk of his bed, crickets clucking noisily outside his window.

God, I’ve got to get a hold of myself… why does it seem like I’m losing control?

“Lucy, you have to go back on your meds.” Sebastian’s voice sounded above us, clear as day.

I froze up, fear closing my throat up; I know he’s right, but… I just can’t. I have to be able to go about my life without being constantly drugged up.

I can’t be my mom.

I shook my head, knowing full well he couldn’t see it.

Arnold sighed from beside me, sitting up and rubbing my shaking shoulders.

Jenna snored softly across the room on the couch, shuffling around to get comfortable before her loud breathing commenced.

“God, that girl is loud… think she’ll get pissed if I throw my pillow at her?” Arnold mumbled.

I burst into quiet chuckling, slapping his knee playfully.

Such an ass… I know he would have done it if I gave him permission to do so. He’s always been such a smartass, never took authority very seriously. He’s not the first person I met that didn't give respect out to just anyone; but he’s always respected me.

After a moment, we laid back down, my head on his chest, listening to his heartbeat. Sebastian seemed to settle back into bed when the quiet became too much for me.

I tugged on Arnold’s sleeve, trying to get his attention.

“Hmm?” he mumbled softly.

“Story.”

He chuckled, adjusting so he could curl his lanky arm around me better.

“Story, huh? It’s been awhile since I’ve told a story… let me think.” He led off and I felt him move his hand up to stroke his chin.

I snuggled closer, loving the closeness we were sharing; something I’ve only ever had with my friends, never in an intimate relationship.

“Okay, I’ve got one. Once upon a time, there was a guy who liked to hurt people for fun; because his dad was mean to him. He got a sick satisfaction out of making others feel like shit and did so for years, until he finally got in a lot of trouble and was kicked out for being a moron.”

Oh. I know this story.

“So, here this guy was, not a friend in the world because he was a total dick to everyone whom tried to get close to him. One day, about a month after he got kicked out, he cornered this innocent kid in an ally for money so he could eat that day. Just before he could get any money out of him, this wild girl came out of nowhere and knocked him right on his ass. Fractured his nose without even breaking a sweat.”

I giggled as he told the story with a weird amount of wonder.

“She did the strangest thing after that; she helped him up and set his nose back into place. She sat him down right there in the alley after the kid ran off, and asked him what his problem was. The guy, taken aback by this petite girl and her straight forward attitude, told her he got kicked out. She asked him why he was kicked out and he reluctantly explained to her how he had gotten arrested for beating someone up for no reason. She listened with patience, then stood up and offered him a home if he agreed to change his ways.”

Listening, to his heart beat, I smiled at the images of myself; the brave me.

“So, that’s exactly what he did. He held up his own for a whole summer, getting a job and proving to her that he could change. She even came with him when he asked his dad if he could come home and vouched for him. He stopped hurting people for fun then, only to protect his friends and the Ark he came to be a part of. I guess he just needed to get his nose broken to clean up his act. The end.”

Sighing, I felt the nostalgia like hot butter in my tummy. He moved his neck around to kiss the top of my head.

“By the way, my nose is still crooked.” He said.

I chuckled, patting his belly.

“Good.”

He snorted, before sitting up to pull the covers over us.

“Try to get some sleep, sweetheart. You’re going to have to confront this in the morning, whether you want to or not.”

I frowned, slapping his hip playfully.

He’s right of course; but I don’t want to. I miss the brave me, the person I was before losing everything I loved… before the incident.

Before he murdered my mom…

I shuddered, moving closer to Arnold for warmth.

Kyouya… I had to deal with guys at home, but love never seemed like something I could manage back when sleep was difficult to fit into my schedule. I guess maybe now that I have less on my shoulders, it’s become an option.

But why Kyouya?

Of course, he’s very easy to look at, maybe a little too easy. Tall, straight posture, even the sharp jaw line and glasses seem to get to me. Maybe it’s because he seems to have all his shit together, when I’ve always been a busy unorganized mess?

It seems, after we got over the initial speed bumps, he’s got quite the soft spot for me… The many days we’d sit during club hours and talk about colleges and classes… I can remember distinctly, how he’d always stray from anything too personal, which I am completely grateful for.  

But after this, I’m sure Vicky has told them more than enough…

Things are going to be different, more personal… I don’t want that, I like the image we had building up for ourselves, for myself.

I miss the brave and fiery me, but cradle the innocent and pure me I’ve come to be.

Kyouya’s P.O.V.

I can say for certain that I’ve had some long nights in my short life; but as I turned for maybe the hundredth time since I crawled into bed, I realized this would most likely be the most strenuous.  

My mind seems to blur between worry to anger to an even more unfamiliar feeling that I couldn’t help but recognize as jealousy.

But then the memory of that undeniably shocking kiss I received from the wild silver haired girl that I can say for certain now has captured my heart hits me hard. Reaching up slowly, I traced the slight tear in my bottom lip from when she was pulled away from me.

Damn that rude uncivilized piece of shit for not only ripping her away from me, but also purposely saying something just to get under my skin. Since when do I lose my cool so easily?

Seems this single girl, someone I haven’t known for very long, can manipulate my emotions so carelessly.

“Kyouya…? You still up?”

Sitting up groggily, I put on my glasses to see Tamaki standing at the entranceway of my door, two steaming mugs in each hand.

“Yes… is there something I can help you with?” I answered, a bit surprised by this visit.

He smiled, still in his pajamas and held up the mugs.

“I thought you might like to share a cup of hot chocolate with me and talk. I can hear you tossing and turning from the next room, I was just thinking you might feel better if you talk about it…”

I blinked, hesitating for a second as it sunk in. Normally the last person I’d want to open up to would be someone as ridiculously unorthodox as Tamaki; but he offered and the company would definitely be nice.

“Yeah… sure. Come on in.”