Innocent Mute (A OHSHC Love Story) Chapter 30

I can definitely see where Kyouya gets his looks; and his stoic personality. Mr. Ootori sat at the end of the table, glasses hiding any type of emotion I could possibly see behind his eyes. The only difference between him and his son was the crow's feet underneath his eyes and thick mustache.

He hasn't said a damn word since Rika and I sat down, didn't even greet us. We sat next to each other, looking like mirror images since we were both wearing the same exact dress with our hair down. How should I even act?

Should I act all high and mighty like Kyouya's other friends? Has Kyouya ever even brought a friend home before?

I glanced over to Rika, knowing my every damn move is probably being scrutinized by the head of the table; god it's tense as hell in here.

She kept her eyes downcast, but seemed more relaxed than I feel. She just sipped at the tea they had served after the too extravagant dinner.

"So, may I ask why you two have decided so suddenly to live underneath my roof without even asking for permission?"

That wasn't at all aggressive.

My throat closed up, my nerves jumping into overdrive, but before I could humiliate myself; Rika jumped in.

"It was sudden to us as well, not having a place to safely stay."

He quirked an amused brow up, the same way his son does.

"Yes, I'm aware of you having lived with relatives here. Unfortunately, despite having been close to Mr. Suoh for some time, he still couldn't disclose much information about you two to me."

Rika stayed relaxed, but I could practically feel the spike in her at his words.

"Our situation is a very sensitive one."

"If you are to live under my roof, then I believe you owe me an explanation." He quipped.

Rika stilled her hand mid-air as she was taking a sip of her tea, matching Mr. Ootori's gaze with her own steady blue eyes. I stayed silent and still, in slight awe of my own sister's patience.

"Our father was a veteran of the war and since we were children, suffered physiological problems having been traumatized. Our mother was hopeless to help him, and he'd have these horrible episodes more and more frequently as Suzu and I grew older."

Kyouya kept quiet, listening to Rika's tale of lies being sewn together so smoothly.

"He became violent; with family friends, his coworkers, his wife, and even at times us. He loved us, but refused to seek any help. Up until a few months ago when he finally went off the deep end and murdered our mother while I was away. The military has moved us around since then, deciding it'd be best we come here to live with our uncle."

Mr. Ootori was silent for a long pregnant moment, his hand at his chin and his glasses shielding his eyes. Say something already!

"That doesn't explain why you've now acquainted yourselves in my home."

Rika hesitated, causing an anvil to fall to the pit of my stomach. What can she say? That our father has escaped our home country and is now more than likely in Japan, on the hunt for us? That just puts us in a worse situation; I'm sure the last thing this man wants is a dangerous murderer knocking on his front door.

"Well, you do own one of the countries's most secured police forces, correct?"

I blinked; what angle is she coming from?

"Well, yes. I do."

She placed her cup down quietly, eyes never leaving his.

"Don't you think it'd make the most sense us being under the military's custody that we should be as close to the police force here in Japan as possible? We're supposed to be protected here, being with our Uncle is nice and all, but doesn't exactly grant us the security we require."