3

Emma was standing on the podium getting fitted for the dress her mother had chosen for her to wear at "her" party.

Despite what it said on the invitations, You're invited to Princess Emma's of the White Kingdom's Grand Ball, Emma knew that it was Queen Snow's Ball from the choice of dress down to the last strand on Emma's head.

She was know being fitted for a white ball gown with no cleavage and it went all the way down to the floor. Emma begged her mother for lace sleeves and even that didn't help for the lace was barely prominent in the dress.

 Emma begged her mother for lace sleeves and even that didn't help for the lace was barely prominent in the dress

Sure, the dress was beautiful but it wasn't what Emma wanted to wear. She wanted to wear a simple shirt and leather riding pants with some boots or even a beautiful red dress with a decent amount of cleavage.

But as Snow said, "a lady is conservative with her body. Concubines and Wenches aren't. Do you want to be a wench Emma?"

And what Snow says goes. Ask Prince Charming.

Emma had spoken with her father previously about the matter.

"Button, just let your mother have this you only turn 21 once," he said.

But all Emma could think was 'yeah, you turn 21 once. Hers happened decades ago. This is my year.'

"Ouch!" Emma said after being poked by the seamstress for the 20th time.

'Isn't she supposed to be a professional?' Emma thought.

"Sorry princess," the seamstress said.

"Mother," Emma said. "This is a ball, right?"

"Yes of course it is Emma. Haven't you been paying attention to anything?!" Snow wailed.

The White Princess took in a deep breath, "then why does my dress seem more like a gown for a bride?"

"Because it looks pretty," Snow stated as a question more than anything.

Emma notice her mother's hesitance but chose not to point it out instead she returned to her thoughts of how her life is not exactly hers but her mother's. And how she isn't exactly living but settling.

————

The next day Emma made a pros and cons list of her life in the castle just because she could.

She took notice of how the cons seemed to outweigh the pros drastically.

Pros

The horses
The garden
My bed
The library
Godmom Ruby
Dad I guess
Mom but only for an hour a day

Cons

No freedom
Mother for 23 hours a day
Dad I guess
Can't leave the castle walls
The limit to desserts
The grand ball
No friends
Nothing new to explore
Same faces everyday
I can't search for R
They hate the Dark Queen
Refuse to tell me information about Evil Queen

She then began wandering the castle looking for something to do.

She looked outside and seen a bright blue butterfly, and she went outside to observe it.

It began to travel in the direction of the Enchanted Forest, and Emma began to the same.

But before she was able to progress further, a guard said, " halt! Princess, you almost crossed the boarder of the kingdom. Don't want that evil witch to get ya now do we?"

"No sir Mike we don't," Emma said in a monotone.

Another con, these pesky ass guards.

Emma has never set foot in the Enchanted Forest since that fateful day she met R.

————

Later that afternoon, Emma was talking with her godmother, Ruby.

"I just don't get it Rubes. I'm basically 21 and I've never seen a life outside of these walls. I've never seen the village life. I have no life!" The princess complained.

"Em, your more of a Drama Queen than your mother and that's saying something," the werewolf joked.

"I'm serious Ruby. I want love. I want freedom," The blonde tried to explain to her mother's best friend but how do explain your quandary to someone who doesn't understand.

"You have those things Emma. Or if you feel like you don't talk to your mother I'm sure she'll understand," the shifter insisted.

"I doubt it," Emma mumbled. The difference between Snow and Ruby is that Ruby didn't understand where Emma was coming from since she wasn't always present, while Snow didn't try to understand her daughter.

"Now, how about you change into some comfortable clothes and we go and head to head in some combat while checking out some guards in all their fighting glory," Ruby said while winking at her god daughter knowing training made her feel better.

"Ok," she said with a smile before walking off towards her room taking the long way that passed by her parents' conference room.

Ruby has been teaching Emma how to fight for years in secret similar to how David used to teach Emma to fight with a sword until she was 18 and her mother fought them.

But neither one of them could prepare Emma from the pain she felt after hearing her parents' conversation  on the way to her room to change for combat training.