Chapter 28 -- This is where I die

Start from the beginning

"Well, uh, to start off, I saw Jonas locked away just like I was. He confirmed that Owen is a villain." I stop my story short as I stumble for the next words. Perception is a mystery to me. How do I explain all that's happened with him, only to say in the end that I'm not really sure who he is? They'll think I'm crazy. Plus, how do I even mention Steel Hawk's possible presence in The Undergrounds when I have no idea what his plans are?

"Della, we're not Jonas. We can't read your mind." Mason speaks up above the lingering silence.

"Steel Hawk is alive," I see everyone tense up around me, "At least, that's the news I'm hearing. Also, there's a super named Perception. There's a high chance he's a villain, but he also saved me a couple times, and I don't know of a single villain that saves the hero in this town. Anyways, I saw him in The Undergrounds, when everyone else was outside fighting Titania. He was snooping around the Board room and came back out with a power disabler. I didn't even know those were a thing yet, but when he threw it at mom, it was hard to question it's existence."

"I feel like Owen is Perception, but that's just a hunch." Ash pipes in. I try to readjust myself to see everyone, but it just makes me wince to feel my cut brush against the couch.

"I'm leaning that way too, but I don't want to jump to conclusions anymore." I admit as I gently place another bandage on my arm.

Mason crosses his arms over his white t-shirt. He looks thoroughly ticked off that I'm not giving him more information. "So what do we do now? Go after Owen? Interrogate the Red Ravens? Sneak into The Undergrounds again?"

My eyes widen in horror, "Yeah, no, those all sound like plans that will lead to death." I shake my head and go back to tending to my arm.

He squints at me, anger evident in his eyes. "I'm just trying to give out some ideas, something I don't see you doing."

"Mason-" Dad scolds, but I can stand up for myself.

"You really think I haven't considered all of the possibilities? I've survived enough hits to the head and close calls that I don't want to chance anything more," I'm standing now, ignoring the blood rushing to my head and the fact that I almost lost my balance. "I've already interrogated the Red Ravens and I just snuck into The Undergrounds." I barely take a breath, making sure Mason knows just how upset his comment made me.

My fists clench together, and I feel my fingernails digging into my palms. "So before you tell me what I'm doing wrong and scold me for not following through, look at the blood on my arm and the bruises on my head. I've already done way more than you have! Get over yourself, Crossfire."

In the silence that follows, I gather up the rest of the bandages and grab my backpack. I don't need this. I shouldn't have come home. Granted, I didn't have much of a choice.

"Della, stop. Stop running." Mason's demeaning voice pushes me to the edge. I turn on my heel, facing everyone.

"That won't be a problem for much longer. I'm losing my powers." I won't show weakness. Despite my physical and emotional wounds, I will not let them know I'm hurt. My feet spin me around again, and this time I open the door.

"Della, wait!" Mom shouts over the chaos. But I can't handle being scolded like a child anymore. I can't sit there and get a lecture everytime I come home with a cut. I know they want what's best for me, but being treated like I'm a glass doll about to break is not the right way to go about showing it. Besides, who knows how much more time I have left with my powers? I'm going to make the most of what I have left.

Even if it drains me.

***

It wasn't my intention to go back to Sophia's house, but yet here I am. All I have is a bookbag and the clothes I'm wearing. It's pitiful, really, but I have to make do with what I have. The bandaids didn't stay on my arm after my run over here. Hopefully Sophia doesn't mention the cut on my arm. I need the rest of this night to go as normal as possible.

I knock on the front door as softly as I can. What are the chances of her actually being awake this late? Pulling out my phone, I check the time. It's 3am, and I only have 5% battery remaining. I sigh as I dial Sophia's number. Really, this is an all time low for me.

"Hello?" A groggy, high pitched voice comes through my phone. Thank goodness she answered.

"I'm back." I shift my weight on my left leg, looking up towards her bedroom window to the right. When her face appears at the window, I roll my eyes and point to the front door. She hangs up in less than a second.

What? Just because I show up at her doorstep at 3am, doesn't mean we're going to be best friends again. I'm just here to tell her she was right about all that she said. And maybe... she'll let me stay at her house tonight. I internally groan. This is my last resort? My arch nemesis? I'm seriously taking the chance of her killing me in my sleep over a night with my buttface brother nagging me? What has my story come to?

"Why are you here?" Startled by Sophia's sudden presence, I jump back a bit. When did she even get down here? I'm so exhausted that I didn't even hear her or see her open the door.

I straighten up, despite the fact that I'd rather be slouching. It's more about squaring up to my opponent over polite posture. Yes, I realize I'm about to beg her to let me crash on her couch for the night, but she's still a witch.

"You were right." I never thought I'd say those words to her.

Sophia's brown eyes widen, and there's the signature sparkle behind her eyes that signifies she's won. "Care to elaborate?" This time, I groan aloud and she laughs at me. She finds this amusing, and I find it to be torture.

"Jonas being locked away, Steel Hawk being alive, and Owen being a villain. Now I just need to know why you - of all people - were the one to confess all of this to me." I take a step forward, trying to cover up the fact that I jumped earlier. Sophia smirks and my heart plummets to my stomach. This is where I die.

"That is a long story." Sophia leans against the door frame, and I know she's expecting me to beg her to let me in, but I won't cave. I can't ask that.

I shrug, "Honestly, I think I can take some time out of my schedule to hear this."

She chuckles at my statement. Her arms cross over her light pink tank top. "You need a place to stay, don't you?" She isn't a mind reader too, is she? Nonetheless, I still don't give in.

"I haven't showered in, like, three days. I could sleep on a park bench and be perfectly cozy." Cozy isn't the term I'd use if I were being honest, but I'm not trying to be a burden.

Sophia stands up straight again, dropping her arms to her side. Her eyes have softened and her smirk has turned into a solemn frown. Once she points to my arm, I know I'm done hiding the truth. "You're broken, Della."

For the first time in a long time, Sophia actually looks like she cares about my well being.

"Yeah," I run a hand through my matted up hair, "I am."

Surprisingly, I find relief in admitting that.

She opens the door wider and steps back, motioning for me to come inside. It's time to put your guard down for a little while, Della. If Jonas trusts her, you can too.

This is my way of getting answers. I don't see why she would want to kill me at this point, she knows I won't have powers for much longer.

Honestly, what kind of threat limps and bleeds out on the couch?

I step inside, trying to push away any ounce of regret for entering her house.

A/N
It's about time you updated, Sunny. Gosh.

It's been forever, and I'm sorry :(

But hey, we're getting closer to the end! Press that little star button at the bottom if you're excited to see what's coming up in the last few chapters! Also, comment all of your theories and questions bc it gives me some quality reading material sometimes. If you're looking for some things to comment on:

Do you think Sophia is trustworthy?

Why do you think Mason flipped out on Della like that?

Who the heck is Perception?

Thanks for reading and being patient!
Always, Sunny