Chapter 12

CHAPTER 12

For the next few weeks Xander was drifting from everyone and everything. It was as though he had a massive barricade around him; shielding him in, keeping him from any human contact. He refused to talk to anyone at school and even if he had to he'd have the snappiest and most impatient short tempered attitude towards them. His presence seemed darker each day along with his attitude. He ignored my existence and skipped classes more frequently. His cigarette scent had returned and he held his head lower than usual. He was back to his old habits possibly even worse than before and it was tearing me up inside. What happened that made him change like that? I couldn't help but worry.

Naturally, Mr Swan noticed Xander's negative change in behaviour and notified me to visit him in his office. I frowned down at the ground as he finished his very formal conversation with someone on the phone. I watched the clock tick while waiting for him to speak... I knew what this was about.

"How have you been, Miss Palmer?" Mr Swan asked taking a sip of coffee from his mug.

"I'm.........alright." I simply answered. "I'm really really sorry, sir." I blurted.

"Sorry for what?"

"I'm failing with this experiment. Xander isn't listening to me anymore... or anyone for that matter. He all of a sudden snapped and I don't know what to do."

"You mean you don't know yet?"

"Know what?"

Mr Swan coughed. I could tell he regretted making me curious.

"It's not my place to inform you." He sighed. "Don't be sorry. He's going through a 'stage'. There's a chance he may return back the way he was before, but it may take some time. For the time being just be patient, but that's why I brought you here. You no longer have to continue with the 'experiment'. I'm freeing you from this experiment."

A chance he returns? What happened? Must I always be the clueless person? And who the hell said I wanted to stop with this experiment? I'm not giving up just yet.

"What? No, sir. Please, give me another chance. Give him another chance." I looked right into Mr Swan's eyes in determination.

"Are you positive you want to go through with this?"

"Yes."

"Fair enough, but remember I'm not forcing you to do this, you are."

"I know perfectly well." I answered, clinching onto my pants. Mr Swan tried hiding a slight smile.

"That's settled then. You may leave now and good luck."

After nodding, I rose up from the cushioned seat and began walking out the door way.

"Wait!" Mr Swan called out, making me turn around. "I nearly forgot about giving you this." He placed an envelope in my hand. "I thought you'd want to get this early."

"Thanks, sir." I beamed as I left.

******************************************

"So what's your plan?" Paris asked after I had explained my mission. I don't quite know why, but I trusted Paris despite the fact that we were just getting to know each other.

"I'm not sure." I frowned. "Maybe I should found out why he's down first. To be honest, I just want him to be alright.. What do you think?"

"I think you should be direct. Guys are usually direct. Just tell him. I don't really know the guy even if we did hang out in the same group. He'd usually keep to himself. No one knows much about him."