Chapter 27

Chapter 27

Xander's hands were firmly holding onto my shoulders since I had stepped back into him in shock. He appeared to tense up behind me as he spotted our surprise guest; Nate. While I nervously gulped, Nate shot Xander a quick lour before bringing his unwanted attention back to me. His dark diluted eyes sent shivers down my spine and made my palms sweaty. The only thing keeping me composed was Xander's supportive grip. It was enough to make me realize that I shouldn't let Nate get the best of me.

I took a large breath and sat myself down in the desk two spaces away from Nate, only because it was part of our seating plan, and carried on as if I hadn't noticed his stare. It may be ridiculous to be that frightened by him, but I sensed an angered, violent intent brewing inside him. The fact that he consumed illicit drugs and threw violent tantrums - much like he had done back at the abandoned park, when he tried throwing a punch at Xander when he had head back facing him - did nothing to help my nerves.

Xander took a seat next to me, blocking my view of Nate, most likely because he noticed that I felt unsafe and uncomfortable, which I was so grateful for. I decided to go with one motive; school's for learning, not for letting personal emotions control you. It surprisingly worked, especially with the help of Xander, whom piled on mathematical questions that distracted me from over-thinking pointlessly.

We were about half way into class and it was almost as though nothing had changed; everything was running smoothly. Nate hadn't said a word - not one.

"You've done well," Mrs Nightley congratulated me, though I had no clue what for.

"For what exactly?"

"The principal asked you to teach Xander, didn't he?"

"Oh, you knew?"

"Well, I caught on. It's not everyday that I have my top student run after the most trouble-making one. I also notice that you do help him out a lot.... for a few months now actually."

"I suppose when you put it that way it's kinda obvious..."

"Don't worry, I won't tell anyone. I just wanted to praise you."

"Thanks Miss," I shyly responded, as I pushed a stray strand of hair behind my ear.

She reacted with a warmhearted smile as she waddled her way to a student who was seeking her attendance.

"She's pretty sharp," Brooke informed, turning back to talk to me since she had taken the seat in front of me.

"Yeah," I absentmindedly breathed, unsure what to say. I was still trying to wrap the concept around my head that she knew about it.

"Hmmm," Brooke trailed on as she saw Logan seated between Xander and Nate. "You know, I'm surprise Paris and Logan are officially a couple before the two of you. It's already clear that something is happening here."

"Brooke!" I blurted out in a hushed tone, hoping she'd stop talking. Xander was right next to me.

"Are you a thing?!" Brooke exclaimed taking me the wrong way.

"No! Geez, Brooke, you couldn't be any louder."

"Hmm, are you upset that you not his GF?"

"What?"

"Are you?"

"Brooke, you have a bug crawling up your arm," Xander informed her out of nowhere.

Brooke's eyes widened as her body jolted in all directions while squealing. Everyone knew Brooke's biggest nightmare were bugs. Whether they're flying or crawling - harmless or lethal - she absolutely despised all bugs.