c h a p t e r | f o u r t e e n

"Flying at the speed of light
Thoughts were spinning in my head
So many things were left unsaid
It's hard to let you go" - Linkin Park

-

Recap

"Where are you going?" My voice was quieter than expected, and I sounded pretty disappointed.

"I was just leaving."

-🧠-

I sighed and laid back on the bed. Tyler was gone and it's just me and Derek left in the room.

I looked over at Derek, who was sitting on a couch across from the bed. He was staring at me with a smile on his face, like he knew something I didn't. The silence was unbearable. "We need to talk."

Derek was quick to break the silence. "About what exactly?"

"I used to know you when we were young." He cut straight to the point. My mouth hung open, I was stunned. What the hell did he mean?

"Uh, what?"

He laughed at my state and continued. "We were friends back in grade school, particularly fourth grade. I moved shortly after and we never kept in touch."

I looked down at my hands. Derek Freeman. I knew I recognized the name, but I couldn't quite figure it out. He and I were friends.

"I also sent you, or your old number, a text when I was moving. I had no idea if you would rememberer my number."

That was his number. I unsaved his number after he moved. Obviously it was him, he always signed off with a '-D'.

"I can't believe I couldn't remember you." I spoke up after he finished. I was pretty stupid for not realizing it was him, my childhood friend. "Sorry."

He smiled and shook his head. "I didn't expect you to remember me. I mean, I didn't text you after I moved. It's okay."I looked down at my hands and stayed silent.

Then it hit me.

My head snapped up to meet his eyes. Did he know about my cancer? I mean, I was diagnosed at a young age so he could've been there. And if he did, he probably doesn't know I'm dying. I close my eyes and run my forehead. This is all too much. Shouldn't dying be an easy thing? I shouldn't have to worry this much.

"Day, is everything okay?"

I shake my head. I needed to ask him. No, I just needed to tell him. "I need to tell you something." I needed to tell him everything.

"Day, I know you have cancer. You don't need to wo-"

I stopped him.

"I'm dying."

He looked me in the eyes. I could tell he didn't think I was serious. "What?"

I took a deep breath.

"A month ago, I was told I am going to die. I have a month left to live."

I guess now I know why I was called blunt all those years in high school. I really don't beat around the bush.

His eyes got wide, and he had a look of pity in his eyes. Instantly I regretted telling him anything.

"Don't give me that look." He looked confused.  "People always give me that look of pity. Don't feel bad for me because I'm sick, I live my life like you do. I'm no different, so don't you dare feel bad for me."

He nodded, understanding my rant. We talked for almost two hours about everything he missed while he was gone. We talked about sad things and happy things, we laughed a lot too.

"Yeah, Mrs. Miller got a divorce." I laughed as I spoke.

Derek looked surprised. "Really? Why? Her and her husband were so cute together."

I laughed. "She was caught with the principal," I couldn't stop laughing now. "In the janitors closet! Supposedly she was getting bored with her husband."

Derek laughed right along with me. We were both holding our stomaches and could hardly breath.

"I always knew she was crazy, but a girl got to do what a girl got to do. She needed the dick."

We both talked and laughed until he had to go. I had to stay in the hospital for another day, then I could leave.

It was 9:37 p.m. and I was getting tired. My father had come in to bring me dinner, and he stayed for four hours, then he left. I was going to plug my phone into the charger by me bed when I got a call. It was from Blake Marshall, Sarah's boyfriend. I accepted his call and answered him.

"Hel-"

"Day I need your help. Please. It's urgent."

"Blake, are you ok?"

"How's Sarah doing? Is she ok? Is she still breathing? When is she coming back?"

"Blake."

"I feel so bad I can't come to see her, but I'll get kicked out of school if I leave. She probably hates me no-"

"Blake!"

"..."

"Calm down, please. Sarah is doing fine. The last time I talked to her, she was going to have to stay in the hospital a little longer than expected. But she's ok. And trust me, she knows that you can't come down. As long as you call her enough and check on her, she doesn't hate you. She could never hate you."

"Ok, thanks Day."

"No problem Blake."

"... And I also need to... never mind. Thanks Day, bye."

"Wai-"

The line cut, and I was left puzzled and confused.

-🧠-

I'm so sorry these chapters have been lame, I just don't have the creativity to write right now. I've been stumped on these last few chapters, but they will get better.

Also, it's shark week and my cramps are literal hell.

Until next time,
Stella