c h a p t e r | t w e l v e

"What if, what if we start to drive?
What if, what if we close our eyes?
What if we're speeding through red lights into paradise?" - Troye Sivan

-

Recap

And together, they fell asleep to the rain in each other's arms.

-🧠-

My eyes opened as I looked around slowly. I remembered everything from last night; falling asleep in the Freeman's apartment, waking up to a viscous storm, and then falling asleep on top of Tyler Freeman.

I was sprawled out on top of him as his arms encircled my waist. My head was on his chest, which was a great pillow. He was lightly snoring, making cute little sounds when he exhaled. His hair was a mess and I noticed a stubble on his jaw, which made him so much more handsome.

I could only imagine how horrid I looked.

I contemplated on moving from my cozy spot to freshen up, or just deal with the embarrassment later. I decided on getting up. I tried moving very carefully to stand up, trying not to wake him or kick him in his lower regions. As I tried to move, his arms tightened around my waist. "Where do you think you're going?" His morning voice was heavenly, and deep. He never opened his eyes, but he somehow knew why I was trying to get up.

"I didn't want you to have to see the ugly demon on top of you." I laughed out of embarrassment. He laughed too, and it was the hottest thing I've ever heard.

"I'm sure you don't look that bad." He opened his eyes, which were puffy from sleep. I didn't know a person could get so hot. He looked up at me, and I blushed. He was probably regretting opening his eyes.

"You look beautiful."

-

The automatic doors opened as I walked into the building. It smelled like cleaner and fake food, it was pungent. I walked in and went up to the front desk. I asked for Sarah's room number and then went to find it. As I knocked on the door, Dr. Mark let me in.

"Hello Daykota, it surely has been a while." He smiled and let me in. His smiled were infectious, so my mood instantly brightened.

Until I saw Sarah.

She was fast asleep in the hospital bed. She was also hooked up to more machines and her wounds were getting worse. She was pale and extremely thin. Mark could tell my mood had dropped, so he sat me down on the couch to talk.

"Let's talk about her wounds, and then I can tell you how she's doing." I nodded and focused on Dr. Mark.

"Her ribs we're crushed on the right side, and she broke her wrist." I frowned. "She also got a piece of glass stuck in her leg, which is healing nicely." That was a bit reassuring. Mark continued.

"Her ribs aren't really healing, but they aren't getting worse." I looked over at Sarah, who was still sleeping. "Her wrist is doing great, but she still can't use it. And her leg will be fine as long as the nurses regularly clean and rewrap it."

I smiled at him, and we talked some more about Sarah, and then me.

"Have any of the symptoms gotten worse?" Dr. Mark asked me. I thought about the last few weeks.

"Well, I've been getting pretty distracted lately, but I'm always like that. I haven't really had any more bad nightmares, and I've only had two migraines."

Dr. Mark and I talked for another hour about how I was doing, and if I needed anything.

-

Standing outside the hospital, I realized that I needed to go back to Tyler and Derek's apartment. I left my favorite socks there and I need them back. Thankfully, both Derek and Tyler put their numbers in my phone, so I could just text them really quickly.

Me: Hey, can you come pick me up from the hospital? I need to get my socks from your place.

I sent the message and waited. After a few seconds, my phone buzzed.

Derek: Sure thing! I'll be over in five.

Derek pulled up with a motorcycle. It was a sleek, black bike that was hot as hell. "I can't tell whether you're drooling over me or the bike." My cheeks flushed at Derek's comment, and he laughed at my reaction. "I'm just messing with you, let me help you get on."

He sat down and then did the best he could to help me get on the back, but I managed pretty well I had never ridden on the back of a bike before. The drive to the city was quick, but beautiful. Trees and building passed in a blur. Everything was just a blur of colors passing by so quickly you couldn't remember it. Sometimes I wonder if that's what our lives are like too. Just colors passing by in a blur, hard to distinguish. But some people's colors are brighter, and easier to remember, while some people's colors just pass by and no one notices.

"Day."

I come out of my little world when I hear Derek saying my name. "We're here."

I walked inside the apartment and searched the living room for my socks. Derek sat down on the couch next to me and just watched. Tyler was in the kitchen, and walked out to the living room.

"Hey Tyler." I said to him with a smile. He just shrugged it off and went back into the kitchen. I frowned. He was so nice this morning, what happened? Maybe I was just overthinking things, and he didn't mean it in a mean way. I just went back to searching for my socks.

-

"Finally!" I pulled two black socks out from underneath the couch. I smiled to myself and did a little victory dance. I heard Derek chuckle from behind me, and I could feel eyes watching me from the kitchen. I ignored them. I turned to Derek and he gave me a dazzling smile and I happily returned it.

I skipped around the living space waving my socks in the air like a maniac.

Until I accidentally let go of one and it goes flying out the window that was conveniently open.

Just my luck.

I sighed and threw the other one behind me. Those were my all time favorite socks! I heard a grunt from behind me and I turned to see Tyler holding my sock.

"Oops."

He throws the sock back at me and then walks upstairs. I could tel he was hiding it, but I saw the smile tugging at the corners of his lips. I could kiss those lips fore-

I shook my head and turned back to Derek.

Looking at him, I realized something was oddly familiar about him. I felt like I remembered him from somewhere, but I couldn't quite pin it down.

I cleared my throat.

"Hey where did yo-"

I was cut off as I was submerged in darkness.

-🧠-

Should I update more? I feel like I hardly ever update.

Until next time,
Stella