c h a p t e r | f i v e

"I'll keep on running
Until I see the sun
There you'll be waiting
You are my Babylon
I see the shadow
But I'm still holding on
Show me the way" - Half The Animal

-

Recap

I smiled as I replied to her, slowly falling asleep in the process. I really needed to see her, just one last time. She was my best friend, like a sister to me. I pressed send as I fell asleep once again.

Day: I'll hold on, I'd do anything for you. Love you.

-🧠-

I woke up to my dad shaking me. This happened on a regular basis now. I roll over a close my eyes again, and he still continues to shake me. I would sleep all day if he never woke me up. It had only been three days since I last texted Sarah, since I last had a nightmare. Time was flying by so fast, almost a month has gone by already! But I still feel like these three days have felt like forever. Sarah said she needed one more week, then she would head up here to Destin. My life has been so boring lately that I can't wait to see her. I haven't seen my dad much, he's been at work a ton lately. I also haven't told him about my nightmare or me throwing up after. I don't think it really matters since I'm dying anyways. It sill sounds so weird to say that to myself. I did end up telling Mark about it though, and I convinced him dad already knows.

I finally give in and open my eyes. I roll back over and am met with an angry looking father. I mentally groan and slowly sit up, stretching my limbs. He doesn't say anything, but he looks as if he's trying not to explode. I sit up all the way as he starts to pace the floor. And mind you, it's still very silent in the room. It's very awkward. I decide to say something before I crumble up from awkwardness.

"Hey da-"

"How could you not tell me? And lie to your doctor about it too? Really Day? That is so not like you!" My father spits out all of his words, and anger. His face is flushed and he looks devastated as soon as he yells at me. His face is soon covered in regret, probably from raising his voice at me.

"Honey, I'm sor-"

It was my turn to interrupt. I'm not a baby, so he is allowed to yell at me.

"Dad. Stop. I'm a big girl now, you're allowed to raise your voice at me. And I know, I should've told you about it. And not lied to Mark, but I was worried. And I'm dying already so it doesn't matter!"

He looks puzzled at me, furrowing his brows and cocking his head.

"I was just mad that you didn't tell me that you wanted ice cream a week ago, and instead told Mark you were 'feeling ill and needed it'. I could've bought you ice cream. What are you talking about?" He taps his foot impatiently and anger flashes in his eyes for a second. "Are you hiding something from me?"

I gulp. He was talking about a week and a half ago when I was bored out of my mind. I had simply asked Mark for some ice cream, considering dad wasn't home at the moment. I may have guilted Mark into thinking I was feeling ill and needed the ice cream. The ice cream was great, it was worth the lie. But dad still doesn't know about my nightmares, and now I have to tell him. Or lie. Obviously I'm good at that.

"Um, well something happened. Three days ago. Please don't be angry but it was, uh, pretty bad." I sink down in my spot and I cringe at his reaction. He was furious. I should've been smarter not to mention anything about my nightmare, and just act like I didn't know what was going on.