p r o l o g u e

-🧠-

Things in life don't always go as expected. Sometimes life can be very unpredictable, even when you think you have everything down. Sometimes life takes unexpected turns that leave you to fend for yourself, events that shove you out of your comfort zone. Events that leave you wondering, will things really go how you think they will? Is life really that predictable?

That's how I feel now, standing in a hospital room with two of my best friends and a stranger. I couldn't have been more excited when I heard that my best friend was coming to visit me. They were coming to visit me because of my sickness, and I loved them for caring about me so much . I had been talking on the phone with them as they drove down south to see me. And although I started out excited, I couldn't have been more shocked when I heard a crash come from the other end. Then sirens came blaring in my ear as the phone call cut out. I remember my reaction on hearing that my best friend got into a car crash after seeing it on the news. I was in so much shock that I didn't even bother to ask who else was involved, and if they were ok. I just rushed over to the hospital. I later heard that the other person involved was in no way injured at all.

That's how I ended up here. In a hospital room with my two best friends and a stranger, as I said earlier. I spent most of my life with doctors around anyways, so I was used to them all rushing around. But being in this room, well, it was still awkward. When I first met the stranger, I didn't know what to do or think. Before my mother left me, she always told me to be kind to others, to treat people the way you want to be treated. The golden rule was key in my household. So that's what I did. I said hello and smiled at the stranger, and I apologized about all the damage done to the car they drove in. In return, I got a cold glare and a muttered 'yeah, thanks'. The golden rule unfortunately doesn't always work. Either that or some people are just mean.

A few days later, my best friend involved in the crash passed away. For a whole week, everyone was sympathetic and sent gifts to the grave. After that, it was like the whole town of Tampa, Florida forgot about the accident. Life went back to normal; our days consumed by school and work. People slowly stopped talking about the crash, and the death of my best friend. I slowly moved on from everything, too. People stopped feeling bad for me and went back to calling me a rich snob and a spoiled brat. The only people I had were my father, my other best friend, and that stranger who was mysteriously interesting and kept talking to me randomly. And as people forgot about my best friend, I never forgot anything. Especially my best friend's last words;

"Everything will be okay, I promise you that. My life will end so yours can begin again."

-🧠-

Until next time,
Stella