Chapter 18: Winter Battle Winners

Ten minutes later

3rd Person

The five bands stood onstage. Each member have their heads down in silent prayer. They're compressed against their band members. Its a superheated time. The votes just came in and silence overwhelmed the room. Sweat dripped down each person's forehead. The moment is so intense everybody held their breaths.

Mr Lewis eyes the audience then the bands behind him. He raised the list containing the places of each band and read it out loud.

"Fifth place! Pollen Drive by Rap Dogs!" He announced. Cheering erupted from the crowd as Kenny and McCoy clapped to themselves as they received their prize of $25,000 and a small snowflake thropy. They were still grinning as they shook hands with Mr Lewis and got offstage.

"That was cool bro. We killed it for fifth place," Kenny whisper/squealed once they were in the backstage.

"I know," McCoy replies in the same manner.

"Fourth place! Deadventures by The Bandits!" Cheering came from the audience. The seven membered group happily shook hands with Mr Lewis after receiving their $50,000 and a four pointed star thropy.

"At least we ain't last," Ismael teased.

"Hell yeah!" Darth yelled, holding up the trophy as they made their way down.

"Third place! Shattered by The Elites!" Loud cheering came from the audience as the band receives a glistening golden orb thropy and a sweet $65,000. Its no big deal to them. They can make more than that in just one day. What made them smile — well Jazzi in particular — is the silver keys of the orange and blue convertible.

She reached for the car keys before anyone could. "Look guys. My first car," she announce to the crowd as she raised the car keys. The crowd cheered for her. "Let's christen it by—"

"By driving around town like an animal," Li finished. "Come on sis." He dragged his sister offstage. Alyson and Beans following while chuckling to themselves.

"And folks! Second place!" He paused for dramatic effects. "An overly long song title which I won't say by The Grands!" Exaggerated cheering erupted from the crowd. The band were grinning from ear to ear as they received a head turning Mazda 3 — which the town will see in each and every street race — a blue cat standing on the moon thropy and a fresh $90,000.

"Finally. The band who will represent our school. Our town in the upcoming January Fest!" Dramatic pause. "The fifth time champion! Black Butterflies!" Ear deafening, glass shattering cheers and roars erupted from the crowd. The band joyfully received the Winter Sceptre, a $100,000 prize money, and a surprise prize HHS never gave before. Well they gave away cars and all that stuff. A key for their own personal tour bus. Painted sleek black so shiny one can use it as a mirror.

"Sweet!" They grinned as they said simultaneously. Alex raised the sceptre and they all yelled. "Happy Winter Battle! Merry Christmas everybody!"

Five hours later in HHS parking ground

After everyone has left, the five bands decided to stay behind, talking about the day and bragging about how well they did.

"What're you gonna do to your $25,000?" Andes asks McCoy and Kenny.

"Oh. About that uh." Kenny struggled to find an answer.

"We've come to a deal that we will go back to Peaches Valley City. Uh our hometown, Ruby Pollen. And help out the innocents. Maybe donate half of our money to the orphanage there," McCoy answers. Silence clouds the parking ground for a while.

"That's nice McCoy," Alyson breaks the silence. Everyone starts agreeing with her.

"That's a great idea," Nico says. "What about you Black Butterflies?"

"Oh us? Same thing. Give it to charity. Well not all of it," Benjie replies. "We'll split half then give the other half to the orphanage."

"You did realize that there's no orphanage in this town right?" Jazzi asks. "Cause there's not much orphans in it."

Andes shoots her a glance and says, "You're an orphan."

"Shut the hell up Andes. You don't know the whole story." Jazzi rolls her eyes and proceeds to cross her arms. She leans in closer to her brother — which is her way of saying 'I need back up'.

"Sorry," Andes apologizes once she sees Li's angry face.

"Anyways. We'll be throwing a party on Christmas," Kellin tries to break the tension between the two teenagers and luckily, it works. "Hope you guys can come."

"Yeah! Of course we will!" Kenny and McCoy says simultaneously. "Then after December we'll go down to the city."

Everyone agrees to the idea and goes on their separate ways. It is a great win for everyone. Really.