Chapter 8: Ice Cream + Music = Perfect Life

Moose

After class I waited in front of the small picket fence surrounding the school. As I sat on the ground the librarian pass by me. She stopped in her tracks when her gray eyes landed on me. I smiled at her and she smiled back but didn't say anything.

"Why didn't go with the other kids earlier? The wagons will not come back," she said.

"Oh. Uhm. My mom is picking me up," I smiled. She nodded and went on her way. I watched her go in a convenience store before focusing on my phone.

I decided to check my gallery. Mikai asked if he can borrow it earlier and he started taking pictures of himself, of us and other students.

The first few pictures were of Mikai smiling then they turned to him making goofy faces. I smiled at how he loves to take stolen shots of people. I recalled how he even zoomed in at Alex's face and laughed out hard.

"When you realize there's only one slice of cake left at the party," I recalled Mikai snickering as he said those words. I was waked from my thoughts when a loud honk blared across me. I looked up to see mom's SUV.

Sighing, I pulled myself to the passenger side and opened the door. I was met by Judy's smiling face and mom's cheerful smirk.

"Uh. I'll take the backseat," I said before Judy or mom can say anything. I heard Judy say 'he's a sweet little boy' as I opened the backdoor and pulled myself up. I looked at them to see their smiling faces. It totally creeps me out. "Uhm. Why are you two smiling like that?" I said pointing at their faces. Judy turned her head and looked at me from head to foot, I returned the gaze.

"We saw you smiling at your phone," she said then laughed. But I know that laugh is nervous. I joined in her laughter and so did mom. Judy abruptly stopped and looked to the front while mom pulled away from the parking space. "Who are you texting?" She asked.

"Oh. I wasn't texting anyone. Its just. I'm just looking at some pictures a friend took," I explained while running my fingers over my hair uncomfortably.

"Uh-huh. Who's your friend?" Mom asked.

"Mikai Weekes," was my short answer.

"Hmmn. One of the Weekes. They're pretty nice folks," Judy says, nodding her head.

"Y-yeah. He's pretty cool. Just complains about almost everything though." I watched as the we pass by the houses one by one. When we came to a nearly orange one, I pointed to it and said, "that's their house."

"His parents are always out of town for business trips," Judy explained.

"Oh. What kind of business?" I ask.

"They're realty agents and they have their own pet shop company. Their son on the other hand has a share of the business as comic books," Judy replied. "This is my stop Becca." she points in front of a two storey house. Mom pulls in front of it and Judy gets off. She waves goodbye before going in the house which she claims to be a friend's. Mom gave two honks as an answer and pulled away.

Once we reached our house I bolted up the stairs to my room. I slammed the door close and didn't mind the shouts of mom saying 'come have some ice cream'. Ice cream will be nice yes, but there's something better than that.

I turned on my Bluetooth speaker and connected my phone. I blasted Something by Escape The Fate. I guessed I'm the only one who blasts music this loud. Well me and that one house where Mikai lives and the blasting of Linkin Park can be heard every morning. I plopped down on my bed and slowly sat up.

I got up and pulled off my clothes. It was a habit of mine to take off my clothes before taking a shower or even picking out other clothes to wear. I know, I have a weird habit. I pulled my belt off and the door opened. I screamed like a girl as the door quickly slammed shut.

"I- I'm sorry. I didn't mean to," Mom apologizes from the other side of the door.

"Mom! There's something they call knock!" I yelled.

"I'll knock next time," her voice faded down the hallway.

"You better do," I mumbled and pulled on a fresh shirt. Fresh from the laundry, not fresh from the market. It's one of my favorite shirts, I got it from Anthem Made and it has the logo. It's white but I wrote at the top part of the Anthem Made logo 'before you I serve nothing' in sharpie. I debated on wearing skinny jeans or baggy six pocket ones. In the end I chose something that isn't on my list, a pair of black leggings.

The song ended and Holding On To You by Twenty One Pilots played. I know most of the rap parts in this song and decided to sing along.

"Remember the moment you know exactly where you're going,
'Cause the next moment, before you know it,
Time is slowing and it's frozen still,
And the window sill looks really nice, right?
You think twice about your life, it probably happens at night,
Right? Fight it, take the pain, ignite it,
Tie a noose around your mind loose enough to breathe fine and tie it,
To a tree, tell it, "You belong to me,
This ain't a noose, this is a leash,
And I have news for you, you must obey me."
You are surrounding all my surroundings," I danced along to the strong beat and closed my eyes. I imagined myself as Tyler Joseph giving not just the whole town a concert but the whole world." Sounding down the mountain range of my left-side brain,
Twisting the kaleidoscope behind both of my eyes."

I stopped singing to listen to Tyler singing. That build up is so cool.

I listened to a few more songs in my playlist before turning it off. I went downstairs to find Mom watching TV and Lucy sleeping in one of the single couches.

I didn't acknowledge any of them. I headed to the now fixed kitchen and opened the fridge, satisfied to see that an unopened ice cream tub is still there. I pulled it out and grabbed a spoon. I went back to the living room and literally ate straight from the tub.

"Moose. There are bowls in the tray. Have some manners," Mom scolded when she saw what I'm doing.

"I'm not gonna eat it all," I protested. She gave me the I-know-what-you're-up-to look and went back to watching National Geographic. Of course I'm not gonna eat it all, I'm just gonna eat ALL the contents.