Chapter 1: New Life In A New Place

Moose

I stepped out of mom's Montero Sport SUV. Some people might think its hard to see stuff with all the hair hanging in front of my eyes but no, its just a bit of a slight blur. Even mom wants me to cut it off but I can't. Its a hairstyle dad chose for me as a joke and it kinda stuck.

I looked up at the house in front of me. It looks like the haunted house straight outta movies. Black roof, the kind of black that looks like soot. A dark black front door and the walls are painted gray. The lawn is dying. Looks homey.

I grabbed my bag and a box containing some of my stuff from the backseat and advanced to the door. I opened it and dust greeted me. Cobwebs hung loosely from the corners and the furnitures are covered in light brown cloth. I dropped the box and my bag beside the door and started to explore. A wooden staircase leading to the second floor is right beside the entrance of the guest room which Mom decided to turn to an Art room plus mini library. Under the stairs is a cellar which actually leads to the basement. There are no hallways whatsoever. A cobblestone fireplaces sits at the center of the wall in the living room and the dining area is straight ahead. I walked over to the dining area and I'm quite not fascinated in what I'm seeing. The tiles at the black kitchen counter were cracked and chipped off, the windows are broken and there are no light bulbs. A small door leading to the kitchen area is falling apart. It really is a fixer upper. I sighed and went back to the living room.

"Do you like it?" I heard her voice and turned around. My eyes met my mom's. She has two boxes beside her and she's carrying Lucy, our gray Bengal cat.

"Yeah. Its cool. Where'd you see it?" I asked while running my fingers across the dusty cobblestone fireplace. "Do you think its a bit big for just the two of us? Mom?" I asked when she didn't respond to my first question.

"Oh, honey. This house was bought by you father. We didn't move in because we want to repaint it. We can repaint it if you want. You can choose the color," she smiled at me. Her blonde curls falling like a waterfall down her shoulders. Mom set Lucy down but the cat ended up clawing her shirt, not wanting to be put down.

"Well. What color did dad pick?" I asked. I hate talking about dad but he's the reason why we're here. He's the reason why I'M here. Alive in this world. I hate talking about him because he brings back painful memories.

Mom thought for a moment like she's trying to remember a memory buried at the back of her mind.

"Well. He picked your favorite color," she looked at me. Her mud brown eyes twinkling with excitement. Then she smiled. "Gray," we said in unison and laughed.

"Okay," I shrugged. "I'll help repaint."

"Thank you sweetie," she said. I smiled and picked up my box and bag. I gave her a quick hug as well. "You can pick any room you like."

"Okay... How bout the cellar?" I jokingly said as I ascended up the stairs.

"Not the cellar young man!" I heard my mom say with a chuckle.

The second floor looks decent. There are four rooms. Two on the left and two on the right. I opened the first one on the left. Its the bathroom. Like the rest of the house, it has a sad atmosphere. Though the tiles are white, the shower curtain and the walls are gray. And the ceiling well, its cream colored. My kind of house. There's a bathtub at the side. I'm definitely not using that.

The next one beside the bathroom. Its a big bedroom with a large bed in the middle. A door leading to the balcony is beside a dresser. I instantly thought this empty room is the Master's Bedroom. Okay, moving on.

I turned to the one on the right. The door have writings on it. I turned the doorknob and pushed the door open. I pick this one. A window straight ahead overlooking the neighbour's house. A medium sized bed in the middle and a desk beside the door. A large closet stands on the left side of the bed. I looked at the bare wall and a smile crept up my lips. Suicide Silence posters are still taped on the wall.

"Moose? You picked a room yet?" Mom asked. Her voice sounds like its coming from the room beside mine.

I dropped the box and started unpacking. "Uh. Yeah! I'm here on the last room. Right side!" I yelled. Suddenly the door opened, startling me. "What the heck mom? Can you knock?" I asked.

"Uhm. I don't know. Can you be respectful?," she sassily asked.

"No. We keep it that way," I returned the sassiness.

"Keep that attitude up and you won't be having dinner," she sternly said. I can see her trying to keep her facial expression serious. Then failed. I burst out laughing and so did she.

"Aye. Whatever Moose. I'll be downstairs if you need me," she said and walked out.

After unpacking I decided to explore the neighbourhood. I grabbed my skateboard and ran downstairs and found mom in the living room pulling the sheets off the furniture that came with the house.

"Mom. I'm going out," I said. She nodded with a smile and grabbed the vacuum cleaner she packed.

"Okay hun. Be back before six," she said and powered the vacuum cleaner on. The roar of the machine filled the room. I nodded and ran out the house. "And don't get into trouble!" I heard her yell.

"Yeah mom!" I said and pulled the front door closed. I decided to walk first before riding my skateboard.

I was a two meters away from my lawn when someone sped past me on their skateboard. I lost my balance and fell flat on my butt. The person didn't even stop. Rude.

"Hey, man, are you okay?" Another person behind me asked as soon as I stood. I turned around and saw a long haired boy that looked like he's about to give the town a huge concert.

"Y-yeah. I'm okay," I stuttered.

"The name's Li," he said. "Welcome to Hills Town."