Chapter 7: Black Butterflies

Moose

Time flew by fast and History class finished. Our teacher, Ms Shay, is probably the cutest Chinese woman I've ever seen in person. She also have this thick Chinese accent and speaks in Mandarin everytime she gets angry. Me and Andes always walk together in the classes we both have. Next is music which is my favorite subject. Sadly Andes couldn't walk with me to the Arts and Drama room. She said she have matters to deal with.

The Arts and Drama room is the biggest room in the school. It occupies almost all of the first floor in the second building. Its divided into two parts, a small room for Arts and a larger room for Drama. A stage sits in front of a row of chairs positioned like that of a theatre or stadium. A door at the side leads to the backstage. We were all seated down when the lights dimmed and the only light illuminating the stage is a spotlight aimed directly at our Music teacher, Mr Peter Lewis, stood in the middle, a mic in his hand.

"Good morning class?" He asked through the mic. The students clapped and I joined in the chorus. Mr Lewis quieted the class by nodding and waving his hand downwards. "So who's ready to hear our famous Butterflies?" He asked again. Cheers were heard from the class.

I looked around and saw that Andes isn't there yet. Where is she? She said she have Music with me. And who is this Butterflies. My question was answered by the dimming of the spotlight after Mr Lewis walked off stage.

As I was wondering about stuff, someone on stage jammed on their bass. Its a rhythmic sound which was then joined in by drums and slight guitar strums. The rhythm was accompanied by the constant flashing of different colored spotlights. Still, its hard to decipher whoever's playing onstage.

Suddenly the bright spotlight from earlier shone on a boy with blue spiky hair. He's wearing a blue polo and black skinny jeans. He's holding the mic like a typical singer. He brings it close to his lips and starts singing, accompanied by the rest of the group's jamming onto their instruments. The bass line echoed through the walls and its still the same rhythm as it is earlier.

The students beside, in front and behind me were cheering in delight. Some even stood and started jumping to the bass lines. The group, now I understood is a band. According to a random student I asked, they're the Black Butterflies.

"Woah! Where did the party go?
We're ending it on the phone
I'm not gonna go home alone
Woah! Where did the party go?
Na na na na na na
Na na na na
Na na na na na na
Na na na na" the vocalist, who I recognized as Benjie, sang. I know it's Benjie because of the hair and Andes did mention she's also in a band. They seem pretty close as they did this long yet dope handshake.

The lights were still flashing rhythmically till the end. The class cheered and so did I. That's Fall Out Boy they covered. Cool and awesome at the same time. The lights dimmed and after a few seconds, all the lights illuminated the stage and I was able to see their faces clearly. The cheering subsided when the bassist I recognized as the boy from Science who complained about our discussion, Mikai, grabbed the mic and told us to calm the hell down.