Chapter 5: Kash

Andes

"Dad!" I yelled. Pretty much our conversations in the mornings are yelling. Living far from the town is an advantage for our noise. "Dad! Wake up!" I kicked his door open and my jaw dropped when I saw him still wrapped like a buritto in his bed.

"Go away, Andes," he groaned. I rolled my eyes.

"Whatever dad. I made you breakfast. I'm heading to school," I shut his door and headed out to the front door. By the time I made it to the other side, I heard his door creak open and his usual yawn was heard.

We live in a bungalow. The roof is chocolate black and the walls are white. The flooring is chocolate black as well. Our house looks like a typical Oreo cookie. There are two bedrooms, mine being the one at the edge and dad's a few steps from the front door. You have to go through the backdoor to get to my room — my room is an extension and the backdoor is now the door leading to it. The living room is joined with the kitchen. Dad said it was mom's idea to build it that way.

I waited for about fifteen minutes before the only school bus in town pulled over in front of me. The neon green letters spelling the words 'Hills High School' looks like its just taped in. The door opened and I stepped in, meeting the familiar faces of the students in Hills. I walked through the aisle between two rows of chairs half filled with students until I reached the edge.

A boy in a cap who wore his jacket first before his shirt sits beside the window. He's listening to his band again. His golden brown hair dyed black at the tips falling all over his face makes it hard to see his green eyes.

"Hey Ash," I said as soon as I sat down. The bus started on again. The boy looked at me and tucked his hair behind his ears.

"Hey Andes. Sup?" He asked.

"Not much. How's your weekend?" Our conversation is the same boring stuff every Monday. He rolled his eyes at my question.

"Well. Usual," he said and discretely pointed to the two girls giggling on the other side of the bus. I glanced at them and grinned when I looked back at Ash. His face turned a deep shade of red.

"Kellin," I teasingly nudged him, my grin still on my face.

"Shut up Andes," he said while pouring. Suddenly the dark haired boy in front of us turned around.

"I ship it," he whispered. Ash slapped him in the head but he just giggled.

"Shut the hell up Benjie," Ash is really red now. To make him more embarrassed I leaned in to Kellin and Alysa who are just beside me.

"He wants to take you to dinner," I said.

"No I don't," Ash raised his voice and the passengers looked at us.

"You attracted a crowd bro," Benjie whispered with a mocking giggle.

"Hey Ash!" A random boy called out. "Is that Kash I smell?" The other students laughed.

Kash is the ship name of Kellin and Ash. The shorthaired girl, Kellin, fell head-over-heels to Ash and we always tease him about it. We often set them up by leaving letters on their lockers saying 'let's meet here' then a random made up address. I often feel bad for Kellin cause she actually looks for the place until somebody — usually her best friend Alysa — would tell her its made up.

"Kash isn't real!" Ash glared. A series of 'awws' was heard especially from the girls. Ash is the chick magnet in school but he doesn't care about them. Maybe not all of them.

"Come on Ash. Just admit it," Alysa chipped in. Kellin glared at her but Alysa just smiled and mouthed 'I got this' to her.

"Yeah. We all know Kash is real," I said. The students agreed. "Kash! Kash! Kash!" I started chanting.

"Kash! Kash! Kash! Kash!" The students chanted together. This time both Kellin and Ash are begging for us to stop.

"Hey!" The loud voice of the driver stopped our cheering. "Quiet back there! And out! Now!" He said and opened the door. I didn't realize we reached the school. Students poured out of the bus one by one. I grinned at Ash as I grabbed my bag and followed Benjie out.

The cobblestone parking lot is filled with wagons with students and teachers pouring out. Some students walks. There are some parking their bikes. And out of the 300 students and maybe 13 wagons, a black Montero Sport SUV pulled over and a tall, black haired boy who looks like he's complaining about his uniform stepped out. Don't worry bro, you're not the only one who feels uncomfortable in these green and brown outfit. At least you're not wearing a skirt that reaches to your ankle.

I walked over to him to try and spark up a conversation as soon as the SUV pulled away.

Ash

Damn this place. There is no Kash. Kash isn't real. It doesn't exist so stop hurting your feelings. Damn it guys.

I slid my green converse across the hallway creating a loud screeching noise. A teacher told me to stop and I stopped at once. Nobody wants to be sent to detention for 'disturbing the peace'. Well isn't my music taste enough to scare people? Haha well maybe.

I reached my locker and was met by the usual 'Kash is Real' and 'I ship Kash' scribbled onto pieces of torn out pages of notebooks taped onto my locker door. I ripped them off and threw them on the ground. Forget it if a teacher gets angry at the mess. I threw my locker door open and heard someone say 'ow'. I quickly peeked at whoever the heaven that is. Shit, its her.

"H-hey Kellin?" Don't stutter damnit. "What're you doing here? I mean. Here? Your locker is right across the hallway."

"Y-yeah but. I just want to say 'hi'" she smiled and looked at me with her brown Asian eyes. She's still holding her head from the impact of the locker door on her. Not my fault though, I'm not the one who decided to get slapped by a metal.

"Well you said already," I coldly said. Her smile dropped and I felt this weird sensation in my stomach. Hunger? No, I just ate. No please, not that nightmare, no. Why on earth am I feeling butterflies in my stomach?

"Why are you so cold?" She asked with a pout. I laughed nervously. The butterflies started to increase and an inner voice screamed 'tell her what you feel!'

"Want to warm me up?" I nearly facepalmed at what I said. I'm even grinning for fuck''s sake. Her head tilted to the side.

"Huh?"

"Oh. I mean... Nothing," I said and grabbed my history book from my locker and awkwardly walked away.

"Hey. You forgot your locker door. Its open," I heard her call out but I didn't mind going back. I need to hide my red face. I heard my locker door click shut.

I looked up to see the other students in the hallway looking at me. A grin carved in their faces. As soon as I disappeared from the hallway, I heard their cheers.

"I knew it!"

"Wooh! Kash!"

"I ship them!"

Typical shouts.

To be honest. Kellin, why do you have to be so cute? And me, why do you have to be so cold?