She was an adult now. She could stay with them. She could take care of them.

But that was a fool's dream and he knew it. The chances of her getting a job would be slim. And even if Dorri and Sarah hired her, she wouldn't be earning enough to take care of all three of them.

Caelum was reluctant to leave her. A small part of him turned back into the nine-year old that listened to her tell him fanciful stories to help him sleep. A small part of him wanted to hug her and have her call him 'Cally’ one last time. He wanted her to stay.

But, rational thought took over ― it always did. He released her, wiped his face. “Goodbye, Petra,” he said, before turning to go. If he stayed any longer, he wouldn't be able to leave.

° · ° · ° · ° 

Caelum sat silently during the repase as everyone gave him their condolences. Even their father had been there, accepting teary handshakes and forlorn faces.

He supposed nobody knew about the 'incident’ with him and Caelum. He didn't mind though, he was tired. He didn't have the energy to talk to him.

He saw Peter slide beside him, smiling gently at Caelum. It helped a little, to see that smile. He had lost his mother's smile. At least he still had his.

In his hands was a steaming mug. A tea bag was floating inside. He gently nudged it towards Caelum, not saying a word. Caelum gave a small smile, accepting it. He took a gentle sip, the green tea working it's way, soothing him.

“We can go upstairs,” Peter suggested. “Tell Dorri and Sarah that you needed to take a break.” Caelum considered this for a minute, before shaking his head.

“I need to be here. Besides, my brothers are upstairs sleeping. It's been hitting them hardest.” Peter nodded, understandingly. They were the ones who witnessed the murder. Caelum found them with his mother's blood on them.

“What'll happen to them?” He asked.

“Foster care,” Caelum said, sipping his tea. “Unless my father’s sister wants to take them in. I don't know what my mother had in her will ― if she even had a will ― if this ever happened.”

“And. . . what about you?” Caelum knew Peter had been thinking about it a lot. From the way he said it to the nervous glances he took at his hands. His eyes were scrunched in concentration ― probably from trying not to stare at Caelum.

“They'll try to put me in foster care, too.” Peter's eyes got a bit sadder, and suddenly, so did Caelum's. “I'll see if I can get independency. That way, I can stay in the city, with Sarah and Dorri.”

“If you can't?”

“Then. . . I'll have to go.” It was a tough pill to swallow and Caelum wasn't sure he wanted to even consider the option yet. He was going to do everything he could to keep himself here.

Oh. . .” Peter looked sad. Caelum didn't like that.

Don't,” he said, closing his eyes for a minute. “Don't look like that. Everyone been sad today. Please. . .” he couldn't take that look. He wanted one positive thing, one positive person, even though all this dark clothes and murmured apologies and tears. He needed Peter to be happy.

“Okay,” Peter nudged his shoulder and Caelum looked at him again. He was smiling, it wasn't his big, bright, sunny smile. But, it was one that cared. One that Caelum knew he could rely on.

Caelum smiled too, “Thank you.”

Algol!” His back went rigid. He turned sharply to see his father standing a few feet away from the booth where they sat. He turned to Peter and gave a semi-annoyed, semi-disgusted glance. “We need to talk.” From the way he said it, Caelum knew he didn't want Peter in the room.