Chapter 5

"Wait. You said a Custos is a bond you have with a person. Like the bond you have with me." I said.

"Yes."

"So, you killed someone like me?"

"No. I never killed them." Simon said.

"But one of the people you were bonded with died?"

"Yes."

"Does that mean I could die too?"

"No. I will protect you. I promise."

He scooted closer to me on the hard, dirt ground and wrapped one of his fluffy white wings around me. They were so soft. Like a big puffy cloud.

He took his halo off his head and scratched his golden locks before returning it to it's position.

"So, I was thinking about what to do with your demon cat."

I leaned into him.

"Yeah?"

"Maybe I could be your dog?"he said.

"No. Jason is allergic. You could be another cat."

He smiled.

"Alright. But I warn you, I can cough up some pretty nasty hairballs." he said.

"I work at a bar. Trust me, I've seen worse." I said.

He smiled and his face shifted and it looked like it was caving in.

"Simon?" I asked.

He froze and two pointed ears popped out of his skull.

"Oh, you're changing now?"

"Why shouldn't I?" he asked.

"Uh, okay. It just looks weird. I thought your head was imploding for a moment." I said.

"I am fine. It only last's a few seconds. You can look away if you want to. And Rachel?" he said, getting my attention before I could turn.

"What?" I asked.

Before I could protest he took my chin and gave me a quick kiss.

He grinned at my expression before his body got smaller and smaller.

Soon there was a sleek white cat on my lap. He would be bigger than Ash, and I didn't think the other cat would like that.

I scooped him up in my arms.

"Ready to head home?" I asked.

"Ready when you are." the cat answered.

I almost dropped him in shock.

"Don't do that! It's scary and unnatural. Just meow like a real cat should."

"I'm sorry to have scared you." Simon said.

I bit my lip.

"I'm just not used to animals talking, that's all. I'm sorry for yelling."

"I do not mind. I'm supposed to be your Custos. I should care for your concerns." he said.

"How does that work? This Custos thing?"

I stood up and carried him to my car. I set him on the passenger seat but he crawled over to my lap.

"Well, like I said, I am supposed to act as your guardian. I will come to your aid if you are in danger and take care of you if you are sick and other things like that. I will drop everything to come to you."