Chapter 4

"You're my cat?" I asked.

"Yup." he said, popping the P.

"I don't believe you." I said.

He laughed.

"So you'll believe that jerk face, but you won't believe me? What has the world become? Alright, what can I do to prove it to you?"

"Look, Mr..."

"Ash."

"Look, Ash, I don't know what your definition of 'cat' is, but I do remember my cat was small, black, and furry. You're a human."

His eyes blazed.

"I am not a human. I am a demon. I may be in human form, but I am not a human. The common house cat is one of the few forms I can take. I have a question for you. If I were to show you my true form, would you kiss me too?"

"What?" I asked, stepping back in shock.

"You saw the angel's true form. You saw him with his wings. If I were to show you my true form would I get a kiss too?"

"I never kissed him." I said.

His laugh filled up the whole bar. He was drawing attention to himself and I wanted no part of it.

"Ash, I think you should leave. I think you've had one too many drinks tonight."

As I lifted my hand to wave over security, he launched forward and snatched my wrist.

"Ouch. That hurts. Let go!"

"You think I am stupid? I can smell the angel on your lips, on your clothes, in your thoughts. I can smell your worry for him, your fear, your curiosity. If you're curious then come home with me, I'll show you what you want to know and more."

"I said let go!" I cried.

His grip crushed my wrist until there was a solid snap.

He was torn away and there was a brawl between the security guards and Ash.

He cracked his knuckled.

"I've missed fighting you loser humans. Come and get me you worthless pieces of flesh!" he said.

Terry, one of the regular customers took me to the hospital.

Jason was at my room in an instant.

"What happened?" he asked.

"A drunk guy grabbed my wrist too hard."

He looked over it.

"It looks like it may be just sprained. Here, I'll get you a bandage. Try to not move it too much for a day or two."

"Thanks, babe. I'm gonna head home." I said.

"Drive safe. I'll see you at home."

I gave him a kiss and had Terry drive me to the bar where I picked up my car and instead of going home I went to the field where I was supposed to meet Simon.

There was a bird flying over head, but as I stepped into the field it swooped down and landed in front of me. It wasn't until then that I realized it was Simon himself. He folded his pearly white wings behind his back, but I could still see the feathers behind his shoulders and hanging behind his legs. A faintly glowing halo hung on his head like a crown.

"I didn't think you would come." he said.

"Of course I would. You never answered my question."

He smiled.

"That is true." his eyes locked onto my hand, "What happened?"

"You sound like my boyfriend."

He frowned.

"Fine. A man named Ash came to the bar after you showed up and claimed to be my cat. I didn't see a tail so I didn't believe him."

"Ash is your cat. He just took another form so he could hide from the human police."

"I got that from him. Simon this stuff is so crazy. I think I should be put into a mental asylum. I think I'm imagining all this."

He stepped forward and touched my cheek.

"Does this feel like part of your imagination?"

He pulled his wing forward and rubbed one of his longest feathers on my arm.

"Does this feel real? Or this?"

He leaned in close and I was afraid he'd kiss me again.

I took a step back.

"Do angel kisses mean anything? When Ash came in to the bar he asked if he could get a kiss too. Why?"

He sighed and sat down, patting the ground beside him for me to sit.

I did.

"We call it a Custos. It means guardian in Latin. When you are given an angel kiss it's kinda like a brand. It shows other angels and demons that that angel is there to watch over that person."

"So, you're going to watch over me?"

He nodded.

"Consider me your own guardian angel." he smiled.

"Will Ash be my 'guardian demon' if he kisses me then?" I asked.

"No. If a demon kisses you then he will break the bond formed between me and you and make one on himself and I."

"What does that do?"

"Well, it's much like if I was attached to a human. I'll rush to his aid and he'll be able to control me and I won't be able to do a thing about it. I felt it when you got hurt earlier, and I almost rushed back."

"I can control you?" I asked in shock.

"Yes. It often takes months for an angel and their partner to learn their abilities, but yes, you can control me if you try."

"That sound's a little scary."

"It's not, I promise."

He tried leaning in again, but I held my hand over his mouth.

"What happens if you kiss me again? Since you keep trying to do it."

He took my hand off his mouth and held it in his two.

"All that will happen is our bond with strengthen and it will be less likely a demon can break our bond if he kisses you."

"Oh. You're worried about Ash aren't you? That he'll be able to control you?"

"A little. Demon's are unpredictable and untrustworthy. Try to keep your distance from him."

"That will be a little hard considering he's my cat."

He smiled.

"So? You came for answers I suppose. What questions do you really want answered?"

"Your trial? What was it about? You said you'd answer it."

He sighed.

"You won't like it."

"Don't make me 'control' you into telling me." I said.

"All you have to do it tell me vocally of mentally what to do and I have to do it, you know that right?"

I gulped.

"I better be careful what I think then." I said.

He smiled.

"Now, quit changing the subject. What was your trial about?"

He sighed again.

"They think I killed one of the humans I formed a Custos with."