Chapter 3

I stared at Jason, my boyfriend of almost five years, and my heart broke at his pained face.

"It's not what it looks like!" I cried.

His eyes went from me to Simon to me and back again.

I felt like the walls were crashing in on me. I would never cheat on Jason. He was the sweetest, most caring, most patient person I could ever find. He was loyal and had done everything for me. One of his biggest fears was I'd leave him for someone else. He knew he was too nice for his own good and he'd been burned in the past. I never wanted to do that to him, but as I looked over at Simon I realized that was exactly what I was doing.

Jason looked into my eyes for an explanation.

"I'm sorry, Jay. He means nothing to me, he was just a guy who drove me home after I passed out at the bar." I lied.

"Then why was he kissing you?" Jason breathed.

"I don't know! I- I- I don't know what to say! I don't know what came over me!" I cried, which was somewhat true.

Simon stood up.

"I should leave."

"Yes you should!" I shouted.

[This is all your fault!] I shouted in my head, knowing he could hear me.

"I'm sorry. It was my fault. I didn't realize Rachel was dating someone. I'm sorry for imposing." he said before walking out the door.

Jason came inside and locked the door.

"I'm so sorry, Jay. I don't know-" I started to explain.

He hugged me before I could continue.

"It's okay. Let's just forget about it."

"Really?" I asked, trying to hold back tears.

He smiled.

"It's okay. You passed out, a guy brought you home, and stupidly thought he'd get something out of it. All I want to know is why you passed out?"

"Someone was smoking in the bathroom. Probably Patty. You know how she is."

He nodded.

"I should talk to her. She shouldn't do that, especially with your asthma." he said.

I gave him a soft peck on the lips.

"You don't have to. I'm fine now."

"Let's go to bed. Get our rest before we go to work again." he said.

He let things go too easily, that I knew, and I felt so bad.

I got into my pajamas and crawled into bed with him.

We both worked nights, me at the bar and Jay worked at the hospital. We both started at 6 PM and I got off at midnight and Jason got off at 3 AM. We slept during the day and usually woke up near two or three in the afternoon to eat and do chores and errands before we went to work.

We met when I was hit in the head with a beer bottle a few years ago. He was a nurse at the time and I felt attracted toward him right away. He gave me his number saying it was in case I felt I needed to come back. Instead I used it to ask him out and it progressed from there.

He gave me a kiss goodnight and I curled into his side.

"Rach?" he asked.

"Yeah?"

"Where's Whiskers?"

I glanced at the window and groaned.

Stupid Angels.