Chapter 2

"Rachel... Wake up. Please." I heard above me.

I rolled over, recognizing the feel a bed beneath me. 

"Jason, go away. Not now." I moaned, swiping at him. 

"Who's Jason? I'm Simon." the voice spoke. 

Simon? As in the guy from the bar? The Simon who grew wings in the middle of that field?

I jumped up and slid back. Sure enough, the stranger sat at the edge of the bed. I pulled the covers up to my chest when I realized I was nearly naked. Why was I in nothing by my underclothes?

"I'm sorry. You were cold and your clothes were wet. I thought taking them off and putting you under the covers would warm you up. Did I do something wrong?" he asked.

"What? Can you read my mind? Why were my clothes wet? And how did you get into my house?" I asked.

"It started to rain after you passed out. Your address is on your drivers licence. And your keys were in your pocket. I had no where to take you so I brought you here." he explained.

"You didn't answer my other question. Can you read my mind?"

He looked to the right and out the bedroom window of my tiny apartment that I shared with my boyfriend, Jason, and my cat, Mr. Whiskers.

Speaking of...

The black house cat uncurled it's tail from my ankle and lowly hissed at Simon. Simon raised his lip and growled in return.

"Don't growl at my cat!" I shouted.

Simon looked up at me, his face relaxed now.

"I'm sorry, but he is my enemy. I cannot help my instincts." he stated as if it were a known fact.

"English, please."

"You cat is a demon. Did you not know this? Has he not spoken to you? I would not be surprised it he has not. Demon are foul creatures who care only of themselves." Simon said.

"Speak for yourself, angel." my cat growled, a human voice erupting from his throat. 

I shrieked and jumped off the bed.

Both the Angel and my cat, uh demon I suppose, looked at me. One with a smug look the other with an apologetic facial expression.

This was not happening. I was dreaming! Cats don't talk, except for in Alice in Wonderland. Holy molly! That's what happened! I fell down a rabbit hole in the middle of that field. Now in a second I would be whisked off by the Bandersnatch and given to the Red Queen so I could paint her white roses red...

"You're not dreaming, and you're not in Wonderland." Simon said.

"Nor are you in Narnia, before you ask." Mr. Whiskers added.

"There has to be a rational explanation for all this." I said, hiding behind my closet door.

I dove into my walk in closet and locked the door. I needed clothes and I needed weapons. Jason always had a shotgun in the closet and a handgun in the dresser in case anything happened.

"You won't be able to kill us with a simple bullet." I heard Simon call.

"It'll still hurt like a son of a-" there was a sharp 'Meow' before he could finish.

I threw on a black T- shirt and a pair of shorts.

Then I grabbed the shotgun from the top shelf. I quickly loaded it and turned the safety off.

I didn't care what they said, I was going to make them leave one way or another. They were crazy!

I pocketed a few rounds and stepped out of the closet.