Chapter 1

I stared at the odd man at the end of the hard, dark oak bar. Bright blue eyes stared at the drink in front of him with longing. I had given the Bud Light to him over an hour ago and he hadn't taken a single sip from the now flat beverage. The bubbles no longer rose to the top of the glass, and the golden liquid vibrated only because of the music and chatter in the background.

Poor guy. I had seen some pretty heartbroken people walk into The Red Glass, but he was on a whole new level. It made me wonder what this man had been through. Sometimes, I pitied the men who walked through the bar, looking to forget the world by drinking. This time was no different.

Maybe I could make someones night tonight.

I threw the rag I'd been using to wipe down the counter and threw a twenty from my pocket into the cash register.

Ten minutes later Cook handed me a burger and fries. I slid it down the table until it gently hit his arm.

His solid blue eyes looked up at me and I smiled warmly, showing him it was his.

"It's on the house." I said.

He smiled and nodded his thanks, picking up a fry and nibbling it slowly. 

He didn't look that hungry, and I doubted he'd eat it all, but at least I got a smile out of him, that alone made it all worth it.

"The bar's gonna close in a few minutes. You can finish up and I'll walk you to your car." I said.

"I don't have a car." he answered.

His voice was sweet and musical, like a wind chime. I didn't know how it was possible, but his words were beautiful. Maybe he was a singer, if he wasn't he could be. 

"I'll call a cab for you." I counter attacked. 

"I don't have any money."

"Then I'll drive you home. Let me close up then I'll meet you in the front." I told him, throwing the rag over my shoulder again. 

"Thank you, Rachel."

My eyes widened in shock. 

"How do you know my name?" I asked.

He laughed.

"You're name tag." he said, pointing to my chest where a red a gold plate rested with faded curly letters that I'd written years ago. 

"Oh." I blushed in embarrassment. I was so stupid. I guess I never really figured anyone read name tags. I'd never really been called by my first name at the bar before, not that I know of at least. People usually were too worried about what I was carrying to pay attention to such little details. 

I locked up the back door and the liquor cabinets. I set the alarm before leaving the place, locking the front door on my way out.

The man was sitting on the front steps with his chin resting on my his hand.

"Ready to go?" I asked. To be honest, I was surprised he stayed. 

He gave a small smile and stood, looking a bit tired as he did. Maybe he was falling asleep on the steps before I came out.

"You don't have to do this. I can just walk." he said, making me almost laugh. Why would he stay then?

"I insist."

I tugged on his elbow and led him to my tan, beat up Volts Wagon Bug.

The man had to bend his head down slightly to fit his tall frame in the little car. I scanned his body. He must have been at least six and a half feet tall, towering over my tiny five foot four. He had pretty blue eyes with a hint of white around the pupil. He had a slender form, but I wouldn't call him scrawny. He had narrow shoulders and hips, long legs, but a muscled chest. His shirt barely could cover his washboard abs.

"You're drooling." he said.

I turned away before he could see my blush and started the car.

I was stopped at a red light when I realized I didn't know his name.

"Simon." he said before I could open my mouth.

"What?" I asked. Had I spoken out loud?

"That's my name. Simon."he said.

"Well, nice to meet you Simon." I said with a shy giggle and moving my hand from the wheel toward him. 

He gave my hand a gentle shake.

"You can drop me off here."

I looked around at what must be the one empty field in the whole city.

"Here?"

He nodded and stepped out of the car.

"But-" I began

However the door shut and he disappeared into the field.

Feeling dangerously curious for some reason, I parked the car across the street and followed him into the tall grass field.

There was an almost full moon so I could see fairly well. It always seemed to surprise me how powerful the moons light could be on days like this, but I ignored that fact and focused on moving forward. 

The wheat or grass or whatever this is was up to my chest and some of the longer stalks snapped me across the face sharply when I moved too quickly. 

There was a cry to my left and I slipped forward, toward it quickly. I guess I should have turned away, hearing his shout. It was a little stupid, considering that if there was danger, i was only heading toward it.

I saw Simon getting up and brushing himself off. He must have tripped. 

I was going to sigh, but what I saw next put me in a shock.

He peeled off his shirt and his back muscles shifted and rippled.

Two bumps formed on his shoulder blades and stretched and bent and cracked. They looked like arms until the skin tore and two pearly white wings sprouted from his back. The feathers were long enough to skim the ground as he took a few steps forward and shook his shoulders to shake off any of the skin that had ripped off.

I heard him sigh in relief and his wings stretched and flexed, opening and closing slightly. The feathers puffed out and smoothed back down as he did so, seeming to breathe when done too quickly.

I stared in horror. What was he? He wasn't human. Human didn't grow wings. Was he an angel? If so, what did that mean? If there were angels then was there a God? Were there demons? How many were there? Were they all around? How could we have not known? Were they dangerous, both angels and demons? Was Simon dangerous? 

I heard a screamed and his head whipped toward me. That was what made me realize it was I who screamed. Another stupid decision I'd made tonight. 

I remember seeing him jump toward me wings spread intimidatingly before my world tilted and went dark.