Chapter 64

Jughead was in the bar with the rest of the serpents setting up the table for dinner and waiting for Betty to get back; she'd had a really bad day the day before, she had panic attack's after some injections she had to have at her hospital check up. So Kevin had come to take her shopping to take her mind off things.

After about an hour the serpents where all sat around the table when Kevin walked in saying "i tried to talk her out of it!". Jug stood up. "Talk her out of what..." he asked curiously. His question was soon answered when Betty walked in carrying a goldfish in a glass bowl. "Juggie! Look!" She squealed excitedly as she came to show her fiancé. "A fish Betts?" He asked amused. "Yes! Look how cute!" She said, completely in awe of the orange thing swimming in front of her. Jug tried not to laugh at her; she was too pure for this world. "Yep! Adorable" he teased. "Honestly we were coming home I turn around and she's gone, in a panic I start looking for her and the next thing I know she's come back with that in her hand!" Kevin said and pointed to the fish that Betty was making faces at through the glass, causing all the serpents to laugh at her. "Anyways I have to go! I'll text you betts!" Kevin said and Betty managed to pull herself away from her new pet to give him a hug. When she came back she had a massive smile on her face, she moved the fish bowl onto the bar and she sat down for dinner.

About five minutes into dinner everyone noticed Betty becoming agitated. "You okay Betty?" Fangs asked. She nodded. They didn't press any further but when Betty wasn't eating Jug grew concerned. "Babe? What's up?" He asked and she sighed "I can't eat this!". "What Why?" Toni asked, everyone confused. "It's fish fingers!" She said as if it were the most obvious thing in the world. "I don't understand betts" Jug said looking at her. "It's like I'm betraying squirt!" She exclaimed. "Who's squirt?" Everyone asked at the same time and Betty pointed at her new fish. "Ohhh" chorused around the room. "I'm sure he'll be okay" Jug said trying not to laugh at how mortified Betty looked.

That night after Betty had taken squirt upstairs and sat him on a table in the apartment, she fed him and took multiple photos of him on her phone. Jug was watching in amusement the whole time. He realised he'd left some paperwork down in the bar and excused himself to get it. "Hey son" FP said as he walked into the bar. "Hey guys" he greeted the serpents. "How's betty and her new boyfriend?" Sweetpea asked. "What do you mean?" Jug asked. "Squirt!" Sweetpea teased. Everyone burst out laughing. "I know it's like she loves it more than me!" Jug joked. Suddenly his phone went off and it was a message from Betty with a selfie of her and squirt in the bowl, she was pulling a fish face and it brought a grin to his face. He showed everyone and once again they were laughing. "She seems happy Jug" FP said, seriously. "She is dad, I think she really is" Jug said with a smile. "If I knew that it would only take a goldfish to get her smiling again I would've done it ages ago" Jug laughed before leaving to go back to his fiancé.