Chapter 13- Cupcakes & Peaches

Ella's P.O.V:

I walked into work, humming along to the music playing through my headphones.

"So you got what you always wanted, so you got your dream come true, good for you! Good for you you you" I sang quietly along to Good for You from Dear Evan Hansen.

Suddenly, there was a tap on my shoulder and I squeaked, pulling out an earbud and turning around quickly. I tensed up as I saw Colby, smiling sheepishly at me.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you" He whispered, looking at me with his alluring blue eyes.

"I-i-it's o-okay" I stuttered, blushing intensely. I haven't actually spoken to Colby since I told him that I liked him. I've been obviously avoiding him ever since then but it seems that's over now.

"You have a really nice voice, y'know" he said, walking next to me. I was going to walk faster but when I saw the pleading look in his eye, I internally sighed and started to walk a little bit slower.

"Thanks, I'm sure you're good too" I said, giving him a half smile.

"You'll never find out" he joked, winking at me with a slight chuckle.

"I'm sure I'll get it out of you one day" I said back nonchalantly, but I was internally screaming.

"You'll have to know me for a long time to" he said, all of the awkwardness slowly fading away.

"Like I said, I'll get it out of you one day" I said, making both of us smile at each other.

"Well, this is your stop. I'll see you at lunch, ok?" He said, looking hopeful that I wouldn't notice what he said. I paused, wanting to jump in joy at the fact that he still wanted to have lunch with me but I didn't, just nodding.

"I'll see you then, oh, and when we're there you can tell me more about this Rose character, she seems cool" I said with a wink and he looked confused for a second, but nodded nonetheless and walked away.

I know most people wouldn't be talking to their crush about other girls but it's my first reaction. Talking about other girls around a guy hints that you don't like him, and it keeps the attention off of you which is exactly what I'm going for.

***************

"Hey Ellie, you ready to go?" Colby walked into my office around 12:00-1:00ish.

"Yup, let me just put this prototype away" I said, getting up from my seat and opening up the glass door with a complicated combination.

"Are you seriously almost done with the prototype I gave you last week?!" Colby said in a surprised tone from behind me.

"Yeah" I said nonchalantly, turning around to face him as I picked up my phone and put it in my back pocket.

"I thought that would take months! You're amazing at your job" he said, clearly impressed. I smiled proudly and motioned for us to start walking to the elevator.

"That's why it's my job" I winked, giggling slightly. We stepped into the elevator and once the doors closed I looked at Colby, to find him already looking at me.

"So, tell me about Rose. How did you meet her, what's she like, blah blah blah" I said and he chuckled, his eyes lighting up at the thought of her, which sent a sharp pain through my chest.

"She's amazing. I met her a few years back at a meeting and didn't think much of it but then we started talking more and she's sweet and kind and caring and just awesome in general" he said, not even realizing we were already out of the elevator and heading to his car.