Chapter 1- Water

• Dedicated to To my mom who has helped me through so much and my bestfriends who inspired this

Okay- so I'm going to let you know that there are many conflicts in this story ranging from romance, to man vs. man, man vs.self, man vs. nature and things like that. Therefore, if you do not like that kind of writing, you may not want to read. In addition, my writing skills have progressed throughout this story and I can only hope that you see that. So do not give up on me yet. And you are probably thinking Rain as her name? Really, how unoriginal, but I just thought that name really helped to explain why her affinity is, water.

Cover photo by: DarkGlamour 

Extra Photo on the side by: TrueWolf

____________________________________********___________________________________

Rain:

The smell was dreadful. It was beginning to surround me, until I could not breathe. I clutched my throat, gasping for air. My face began to stiffen and grow cold. My fingertips were immobile. I could not move, I could not breathe. This was surely the end.

The wind began to accelerate. It swirled around me bringing to my nose the smell of rotting flesh. There were no blood, no bodies but the smell was unmistakable. My hair was flowing around my face, becoming tangled around my neck cutting off the little bit of air I had remaining. I collapsed onto the floor in a helpless heap, slowly but surely dying. My lungs were burning, my eyesight was blurring and my body was becoming numb turning an awful shade of the worst blue imaginable.

The odor blew away in one quick breeze, but it was followed only by burning. The pain was so excruciating and the only thing I knew to do was scream. Sobs and yells poured from mouth, spilling like a waterfall. I could feel my insides burn, I could almost imagine the flames that licked at my organs and the ash that remained. The thoughts terrified me even more than the burning did. My screams got louder. But suddenly the bonfire in my body ceased.

Water overwhelmed me, like a water-hose extinguishing the flames. I grinned, no more pain, no more horror.

The waves of water washed through my body, and it felt like a cleansing. I could not stop the tears that fell from my eyes, I was at peace, and I was home.  

I gradually got up off the muddy ground; I smelled the beach, followed by the river. I could see the trees swaying in the breeze, losing a few leaves as they slowly dropped of the brittle limbs. The water rippled as boats rushed past, enjoying the warm sun and the peaceful atmosphere. The river brought me to thoughts of my grandparent’s lake. I remembered how I had visited there every day, until I began college and moved away. I pictured myself, carefree, legs dangling off the side of the pier. My loose t-shirt swayed revealing my tan stomach and pearl belly piercing. I was wearing shorts so that I could stick my newly teal painted toes inside of the cool, refreshing water. I watched the few brave fish skim the top of the water looking for food that was not there. The toads croaked their songs and the ducks quaked. I could not have been more content with life and where it was taking me at that moment, but unfortunately, the flashback did not last long.

I snapped out of my dreaming state of mind and looked around. It was pouring rain, and people were rushing to get out of the horrible weather, but me? No, I was standing in the pouring rain looking like a total moron, I was enjoying every second of it though. It began lightning now, the bolts flashing down trying to find a ground. I felt safe though, in the midst of the thunder, rain and lightening. It could not –would not- touch me. I was invincible to the storm. The safer I felt the further I rose, I began to lift up into the air, high, higher, and higher.

Until I woke up…

I woke up sweating and panting. A glance out of the window assured that it was in fact raining. I looked at the pink box shaped clock sitting on my glass nightstand, and it read 2:00 o’clock A.M. I had a sudden urge to be in water, so I thought about taking a cold, relaxing shower, but it just did not feel right. I hoped off my newly bought, seriously uncomfortable bed and slipped on my pink and black polka dotted rain boots as well as my matching raincoat. I snatched my keys off my dresser, and sauntered out the door. My trip to the elevator was short but eventful. I pressed the round button and waited for the elevator doors to open and let me in, but before they opened, I heard a voice. It was him. His voice flowed into my ears, surrounding me and incasing me in dread and terror. His voice was intoxicating but yet so dangerous, I had to leave, and I had to get out.